Monday, August 20, 2007

Now that’s a REAL Coach

Someone called me last week to say that my blog about Coach Bob Finley had been downloaded to the www.hooverforum.com blog. I am not sure who posted it, but apparently they felt like others needed to read my remarks.

While surfing the Hoover Forum blog I discovered Joe Erhman’s webpage, www.buildingmen.org. For those of you who do not know, Joe Erhman is the coach Jeffrey Marx wrote about in the book Season of Life: A Football Story, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood.

Many of you will recognize this book as a Father’s Day gift suggestion I made two or three years ago.

For those of you interested, take a look at this video clip and compare Joe Erhman to what is coming out of some of out area high schools, and then you tell me who you would want coaching your son:

(click here for video)

Now that is a real coach.

There is no question in my mind who I would want my son play for. Joe Erhman is a special man, and I am confident the boys he coaching will become successful men in life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In your other post on this topic you asked if winning could happen without compromising Christian standards. Here's my thoughts...

I believe the coach of the Indianapolis Colts would be an example of winning the Superbowl... without compromising his Christian witness.

Also... the coach of the Chicago Bears would be an example of LOSING without compromising his Christian faith.

You are right. Life is not about championship rings. It is about honoring God in all things win or lose. Character counts. Integrity matters. As do mercy, grace, love, forgiveness, and compassion... on and off "the field."

Bless you for your words of encouragement in these posts. I'm sure God's people will hear, take notice, and He will be glorified.

Ron