Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Ceremony of the Jersey

I have been focusing on the subject of football lately. I guess it has to do with the fact that college football kicks off in less than two weeks.

Vonda dreads this time of year because I literally get consumed with watching football five nights a week—Thursday thru Monday! Ah, what bliss.

Speaking of football, a very good friend alerted me to the following illustration from Notre Dame’s storied tradition. I am NOT a big fan of Notre Dame. However, I am a big fan of tradition like the one you are about to read. Enjoy.

For generations the Notre Dame name has been synonymous with college football success. The Fighting Irish have stockpiled more national championships, more Heisman Trophies, and more all-Americans than any other school in America. It’s the Fort Knox of college sports. The school’s legendary past is a story Hollywood loves to tell. Only at Notre Dame could Knute Rockne become famous by coaxing his team to “win one for the Gipper.” And through the years they’ve won. But with all that success came high expectations too.

To reinforce those expectations, each spring the Notre Dame coaches gather the team together for The Ceremony of the Jersey. It’s an annual event where each new recruit is presented with the football jersey he’ll be wearing in the upcoming season. At any other school this may have little meaning but at Notre Dame it’s like a visit to a museum. As each player is brought forward, he’s presented with his new jersey as a scroll is read naming each of the legends who’ve worn that number before - their names, achievements, and degrees. The final name on the scroll belongs to the new recruit who’ll be wearing it. The implication is obvious; wear the jersey with distinction, carry on the proud tradition, be worthy of the honor.

In many ways, you and I have been handed a jersey as well. It may not have a number, but it has some blood stains. People like Paul and Timothy, maybe a mom or a dad, maybe a youth pastor or a maybe college friend have worn that jersey. As those who have received God’s grace and are being strengthened by it, our calling today is to pass that jersey on to the next generation.
The jersey of faith that was handed to me has been worn by some incredible individuals. Many of those heroes I only know of by photos or stories shared with me by family. Many others have gone on to the heaven to receive their reward in heaven. Still others serve the Lord here with me on earth.

The blood stained jersey of grace I received includes my grandparents, Charlie and Alice Henley; my parents, Bob Whitley and Alice Rickerson; my brothers, Rhett and Chuck, and my sister, Mona. That list also includes my father and mother-in-law, Wayne and Doris Goodwin, and my wife, Vonda. More members of this elite group include my mentors Bob Barnes and Harry Lucenay; many seminary professors like Joe Cothen, Chuck Kelley, Macklyn Hubbell, Lewis Drummond, Jim Minton, John Harris, and Calvin Miller. There is a list of coaches and teachers who passed on their jersey of faith to me. Then there are my dear friends Buddy Gray, Jimmy Stewart, John Thweatt, & Ron Ethridge. Wow, the list goes on and on and on.

Take a moment to think of those who passed on their jerseys of faith and grace to you. Give thanks for their witness and example. If you would, like take a minute to share the name of one or two people who passed their blood-soaked jersey of faith to you for you to experience.

No comments: