Sunday, August 19, 2007

JUST ONE MORE at a Funeral

I had something especially memorable happen Thursday at a funeral I was leading.

Peggy Branham’s mother, Thelma Dougherty, went home to be with the Lord last Monday. Peggy & Bob asked me to conduct the funeral, and, of course, I honored their request.
As I have in so many times past, I presented the Gospel during the funeral service. I personally believe the best news people can hear at a funeral is that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven and that they can be saved through Him. That is why I present the Gospel at nearly every funeral.
Yesterday’s presentation was significant, in that an individual received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. What made the decision even more meaningful was that it was an employee of Bob and Peggy’s at East Lake Electric.

The employee came to express his condolences. Bob and Peggy asked him to stay for the service because they knew I would present the Good News of Jesus Christ. He decided to stay, and God placed His “effective call” on the young man and he was born again.

As I concluded the gospel presentation I asked anyone in the crowd who had received Christ to let Peggy know before they left the funeral home. Within minutes after the service, the young man confided in Bob and Peggy of his decision. As you would expect, Bob and Peggy’s family was so excited. They were crying when I entered the room. When I asked what happened, Peggy said, “Just as one dies today another one is born into the family of God.” Then as CrossPointers have a tendency to do, we all pointed one finger to heaven and said in unison, “Just one more!”

Wow, what a story.
There is another part of the story worth sharing.

Teri Lee, Peggy’s daughter called me early Sunday morning to say her grandmother had suffered a severe stroke, and they were wondering if I could come and pray with them. I arrived at St. Vincent’s hospital soon thereafter.
Since I knew Thelma, I walked in the room and leaned over her bed to speak with her. I said, “Thelma, this is Ryan. I don’t know if you can hear me or not.” To that she nodded her head yes.

This is where the story gets really good.

“Thelma,” I said, “Are you ready to go to heaven?” She smiled and shook her head in the affirmative once again.

Well, it’s all over but the shouting at that part.

Then I said, “Well, Thelma, since you can hear all our voices, just start listening for the voice of Jesus above all others. He is going to call your name; and when He does, go running toward Him. We are all okay. We do not want you to hang on for us. It is time for you to go to Jesus”

That is when Thelma whispered to all of us in the room, “I love you!”
Thelma remained stable another 24 hours. Bryan Haskins, our worship leader, visited her Monday morning. Before leaving he sang “Amazing Grace” for her. Two hours later, Thelma heard the voice of Jesus and left this world to spend the rest of eternity in His presence.

It was a glorious experience for all us involved.

Now can you see why her funeral was so memorable? Her death gave birth to another soul for Jesus Christ. We, at CrossPoint, call that JUST ONE MORE!

No comments: