Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fellowship

What is the first word that comes to your mind when you think of church? I am sure many of you would say worship or discipleship or evangelism. And, I agree with those responses.

Another word that comes to my mind when I think of church is fellowship. I am convinced that fellowship is a vital key to true church health. When we read in Acts 2, we discover the first century church was “devoted to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship.”

Last Sunday evening the staff and I had the privilege of fellowshipping with many of CrossPoint’s deacons. We met on the back veranda, located outside the new education wing. By the way, that is a great place for a fellowship if you are looking for one.


John Coon and his cook team provided burgers, ribs, salad and beans. And, as you would expect, the meal was superb.


Ron NeSmith and his Deacon Leadership Team did a great job organizing the evening.


Although the food was over the top, it was the fellowship that meant the most to me. I enjoyed spending time with these servants of the church. We ate a lot of food. We told some great stories. We bonded in fellowship. Yet most of all, we prayed. We did not just pray once, we prayed twice.


Ron asked me to share a few words before we dismissed. During my remarks I shared with the men how Dutch Reform Pastors would say to their congregations, “When you pray me full, I will preach you full.” I asked the men to continue to pray me full so that I may continue to preach CrossPoint full. After that, we concluded with prayer.

It was then the real fellowship began. Ron asked the men if they had anything they wanted to say. Several of the men wanted to know when we would do something like this again. Then Ken Johnson shared his heart with the group about his daughter-in-law’s battle with breast cancer. One of the deacons said, “Let’s gather and pray for Ken and his family.” Before you knew it, someone placed a chair in the center of the patio, and we gathered to pray.

It was a great evening last Sunday night. I thoroughly enjoy it whenever I can gather with our deacons for fellowship. Just about one month from today we will gather as a church at Camp Coleman for our annual picnic and outdoor baptism. I hear tickets go on sale on July 8. We have scheduled this year’s picnic from 3 to 7 PM in order to try to beat the heat. By the way, in case you are wondering, we have asked John Coon to cook the meal. Mmm, my taste buds are already in overdrive.

I have already made plans to be there on July 29 because I enjoy fellowshipping with you so much with you. I trust you will be there also.

No comments: