Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Loudest Voice

What is the loudest voice in your life? What voice do you listen to above all others?

All of us have a voice in our life; all of us have some kind of message ringing in our ears. Of all the messages we hear, which is the loudest?

Some voices we hear are imagined. Other voices we hear are real. Some of us listen to recordings we play over and over again.

There are those of us who constantly hear the messages of our parents playing back in our heads. That can either be good or bad, depending on the voices that were ringing in their heads.

Some of us hear criticism playing over and over again. Perhaps it was the expression of a teacher, coach or a peer who humiliated us and we cannot get that message out of our head.

Other people listen to those they are trying to impress. They hear the voice of a spouse or a boss that is always asking, “What have you done for me, lately?”

There are some who pay attention to the voice of fear. Listening to this signal cripples many from realizing their true value in Christ.

A few people listen to their own voice. Obviously this voice, like all other human voices, is influenced by our sinful nature.

I do not know what the loudest voice is in your life. It may be one of the aforementioned voices I have previously discussed or it may be another voice you hear that I have not mentioned.

My mentor taught me to listen to the Lord’s voice above all others. He taught me to listen for God. As a result of that lesson I often ask the Lord to help me distinguish His voice above all others. I do not know what the loudest voice is in your life but I do know what voice you should be hearing above all others. The loudest voice in your life should the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Speaking of voices, Isaiah records:

And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.
Isaiah 30:21

The Lord wants us to listen to His voice above all others so that we can know the way in which He wants us to go. He wants us to hear His voice. He wants us to follow His voice. He wants to guide us in His truth.

Jesus spoke of hearing His voice this way:

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
John 10:27
I don’t know what voice you hear above all others. I don’t know if that voice is a voice of criticism. I don’t know if the voice you hear over and over again is one that constantly overestimates your situation or underestimates your abilities. However, there is a voice I do know that will instruct you, encourage you, teach you and love you. That voice is the voice of the Lord.
Determine today to listen to the voice of the Lord. Learn to hear His voice above all others. Quit listening to the voice of the past, your own voice recording or the voice of others. Decide today to listen for the Lord’s voice. If you listen, you will hear Him.

No comments: