Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hearing God

When was the last time you heard God’s voice? I am not speaking of God’s audible voice, because I believe anyone on earth who heard God’s audible voice would be dumbstruck speechless and deaf for the remainder of their life. No, the voice I am speaking of is the every day voice God uses to speak to us through His Word. So, with that explanation in mind let me ask the question this way: when was the last time God spoke to you through His word?

There are days I can read God’s word and not get anything out of it. Those are the days I must re-read God’s Word, because I learned long ago that the problem with hearing God through His Word has nothing to do with God but has everything to do with me.

Last week was a marquee week for me in hearing God’s voice. Just about every day I opened His word and studied it, I heard from God very loud and clear.

What did you hear God say last week in your daily Bible reading?

On Monday, February 5, I learned from Abraham:

God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering my son.
Genesis 22:8

On Tuesday, February 6, this message from God jumped off the page:

And all that generation also were gathered to their fathers. And there arose another generation after them who did not know the Lord or the world the he had done for Israel.
Judges 2:10


On Wednesday, February 7, David taught me:
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11
It seems every day I read my Bible the Lord had a fresh word for me to hear.

On Saturday, February 10, this word sounded loudly in my ear:

When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
Matthew 14:14

Then again, on Sunday, February 11, I was awestruck by this sentence:

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
Romans 11:33-36

I cannot stress the importance of reading God’s Word each day. When you do read God’s Word, you are opening yourself up to hear directly from God. Imagine what kind of life you would live for Christ if each day you opened the Bible and said, “God, please speak directly to me today so I may obey you.”

For those of you online with reading through God’s Word, I implore you to keep reading.

For those of you who are behind, I encourage you to catch up. You can catch up a week’s worth of reading in about one hour. So, turn off your television set and spend some time in the Word of God.

For those of you who have not started reading through your Bible, start today and finish the reading plan in February 2008.

I will make you this promise—if you read it, He will speak to you!

No comments: