Monday, February 12, 2007

Famous for Being Famous

Were any of you amazed with last week’s news coverage associated Anna Nicole Smith’s death? I was. I was both amazed and perplexed.

I was amazed by the unlimited coverage. I was perplexed by the priority of the unending cycle of “more of the same” video reports.

I understand the necessity of announcing her death. Anna Nicole died the way she lived, tragically. And, I guess, in today’s culture that is newsworthy. However, what I do not understand is the round the clock news coverage associated with her death. By the day’s end, I thought the news media would be announcing a national day of mourning or at the least a state funeral—designated only for heads of state or for other important people of national significance.

While watching the news coverage last Thursday evening I kept asking myself (and Vonda) the same question—what made this woman so famous as to deserve such news worthiness? Did she discover a vaccine to save millions of lives? Did she devote her life to some worthy cause? Did she build an institution devoted to helping others? What did this woman do that made her so famous?Before the night concluded, a commentator for Fox News answered my inquiry. The commentator (and I do not recall his name) said, “Anna Nicole Smith was famous for being famous, much like Paris Hilton and so many others.” He’s right. Anna Nicole Smith was famous for being famous.

Anna Nicole Smith’s life and death are both sad. I pity her family and friends that are now fraught with the responsibility of picking up the broken pieces she leaves behind for her daughter. Anna’s life and death are a mere image of our culture. She lived a decadent life without any boundaries. She was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Her life was a depraved train wreck. And at 39 years of age, her death was nothing more than the result of her fame.

If I were I were a news reporter, instead of calling her famous, I would call Anna Nicole Smith infamous; for she was well recognized for her depravity. But then again, that would not be politically correct, would it? I guess that is why God called me to be a pastor and preacher. Because I am sure I would not last long on the television air waves.

I am curious. What did you think of the news coverage? Better yet, what did you think of Anna Nicole’s tragic life and death?

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Hello! First just wanted to let you know who I am. I am George Logan's sister and I received the link to your blog from Mandi. I absolutely love it. It really helps me during the day and your messages are always inspirational! Thanks for doing God's work!!!

The one thing that bothered me about Anna Nicole is that I didn't know where her heart was when she died. The image she showed to the world everyday of her life didn't give even a glimpse of spiritual goodness. I have told so many people that I have talked with that I couldn't stand to hear her talk or look at her, but when she died a sadness filled my heart at the way she not only lived her life but the way she left this world. I really hated that. As for the TV coverage, way overdone...I just think it was a major shock!

Anonymous said...

One word can describe her...LOST.

JMB

Anonymous said...

I received an email the other day requesting I pray for the salvation of Fidel Castro. At first I dismissed the idea having come from the generation that remembers what he wanted and tried and would have done to this country if he only could. The more I thought about it the more I HAD to, understanding what my Savior did for me and requires of me.
When Anna Nicole Smith died last week, I felt an emptiness that is hard to explain. I know nothing about this woman except the blurbs on tv. I agree she was a lonely, misguided soul who would have probably given anything to have understood the Gospel. My feeling has to do with God's mercy. It is His mercy that keeps us going everyday and when something like this happens, it reminds us His mercy has limits. It reminds me to some degree of the older fellow who when presented the Gospel agrees and says that is a good idea and someday I probably will accept Jesus, both of us knowing he never will from that point. It reminds me time is short and what happened to Smith will happen to every person that death finds without Jesus as their intercessor. I felt the same sadness when Saddam died and when I watch the news and any basic thug on the street dies.
Without an intervention from God, I am sure I will feel the same when Hugh Heffener dies.

Anonymous said...

You're so right, anonymous. I hope that Christ followers dont merely dismiss this as another tragedy where "she had it coming". I hope that this envigorates us to share Christ with the ones who are still alive around us that dont know Jesus!!