Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Blessed are the Meek

So, what do you think of our study from the beatitudes? Are you learning anything new? I know I am learning something new with each trait.

The last time I preached through Matthew 5:1-12 was in 1989. I am embarrassed by what I preached back then. My notes from that series serve me no purpose today. My study was shallow and my messages were superficial. I pity the sweet people who had to endure my preaching in those days.

I don’t guess I was mature enough then to appreciate the depth of the beatitudes. I am probably not mature enough now to value Jesus’ teaching. But one thing I do know, I understand the beatitudes deeper now than I ever have before.

While praying through the trait of meekness this morning, I kept running through my mind the thought of being “under controlled authority.” And while asking God to help me be meek, the Holy Spirit reminded me of two similar statements from Colossians.

As you read through these sentences see if you can identify what we can do to be meek:

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
Colossians 3:23-24

Did you see it? What did you read?

I read that one of the keys to meekness is servitude. To write it another way, meek people are servants. I think the more we serve the Lord by serving others the meeker we become.

It was very clear this morning the Lord wanted to develop meekness within me by challenging me to do everything in His name and for His glory.

Remember, blessed are the poor in spirit, those who mourn and the meek!

I look forward to preaching what it means to hunger and thirst for righteousness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should align your thoughts every day with the Lord. If you perform every activity every day as if you are doing it for the Lord, then you will excel at whatever you are doing, AND you will be doing it for the Lord. Whenever you take yourself out of the equation and live your life for God, you are being God centered and less self centered (a more descriptive word than selfish, I think). When you are God centered, you are meek. Meekness is not seeking to glorify yourself, but to glorify God. We should all be striving toward more meekness, and less self-centeredness.

Bill Walker

Anonymous said...

Bill,
I appreciate your thoughts about being self-centeredness.

Answer this question: have you ever met a self-centered meek person or a prideful servant?

Pride is the root of all sin. Once we learn to crucify pride, we live the meek life in Christ.