Friday, January 05, 2007

I Ran Out of Gas!

For those of you who do not know, I am currently training for my fourth marathon, the Georgia Marathon (www.georgiamarathon.com), which will be run on March 25. Actually I am in my sixth week of an 18-week training program.

When I completed the New York City Marathon two years ago I said I would never run another one. I reaffirmed that commitment in 2005 after I had arthroscopic knee surgery. Then something snapped last summer. That “something” was the idea of CrossPoint hosting its fifth annual 5K run in October without the pastor participating. So, toward the end of June last year I decided it was time to get back in to some kind of decent shape, decent enough to run CrossPoint’s 5K.

Don’t ask me when or where I was when I decided to run another marathon, because I cannot actually remember. I do know last September, on a day I was enjoying a long run, the thought of a marathon entered my mind. It had been almost two years since I had run more than five miles. That particular Saturday I turned a five mile jaunt into a seven-miler, and I was, as they say, hooked.

My longest run in the 18-week plan prior to today was 13 miles. I ran that without any difficulty two weeks ago. Last weekend I took a 10 mile job. Today I was required to run 16 miles. To be more precise, I ran nine miles, jogged four more and then slogged through the final three. Even though I did not finish well, I completed my run within the allotted pace I allowed myself.

What happened at the nine mile mark was so frustrating. I have had it happen to me before with other long runs and in my first marathon. The first five or six miles I felt really strong. Miles seven and eight were smooth as well. The problem I encountered at mile nine was that I ran out of gas.

To “run out of gas” means to lose your energy. Your body just shuts down until it receives some protein and carbohydrates to refuel it. I just did not have any fuel. I was on empty, and if I did not get something in my body soon I was not going to finish my run.

Thankfully, I had some money in my running shorts pocket. And, thankfully, there was a gas station about 100 yards away from where I ran out of gas (no pun intended). I walked in, bought a Hershey’s chocolate bar, swallowed it whole, and went back to my run.

I implored the two friends I was running with, to move on without me. They had a goal in mind, and I did not want my body shutting down to impede their progress. I knew, also, they would wait for me at the finish line.

For the next four miles I was strong, once again. And that is when I made my next mistake. I should have saved half the candy bar for the last few miles, because within thirty minutes or so my body started running on empty again. The sugar had worn off and that is why I slogged through the last three miles.

Next time I take a long run I will carry some packets of Gu with me. For those of you who do not know, Gu is an energy gel full of sodium, potassium and carbohydrates. Most training models say you should consume a one ounce packet of an energy gel every five miles. Today, I remembered why Gu was such an important part of my training plan.

Some of you may be wondering why I would write extensively about my running routine today. That is a great question. I have two reasons for writing about it.
The first reason I write about my run is that I was reminded today of one of the key lessons of pushing your body to the limit. Our bodies are remarkable, yet fragile machines. When properly cared for and fed they can produce great results. When we abuse bodies, as I did today, they tend to shut down. I guess my early morning biscuit and Gatorade was not enough fuel. Next time I will start with a muffin, banana and Gatorade. And, yes, I will carry some Gu with me.
The second reason for writing about my run is more ethereal. While completing the last few miles, I thought about how we should feed our souls as well as our bodies. Worship is the best way to feed your soul. We need worship. Worship gives us spiritual energy. And when I have periods without worship, my soul also “runs out of gas.”

There are two times in every week when I feed my soul the fuel of worship. The first time is every morning when I wake. I spend time alone with the Lord. By doing so, my soul has the energy necessary to take on the day. It receives the nutrients to sustain it.

The other time in the week when my soul is fed is during corporate worship. Three times each Sunday morning I refuel on worship. There was a time when I did not worship on Sunday mornings due to everything I had on my mind. Now, thanks to Bryan’s leadership, I am free to worship and seek the presence of God Almighty, even though I have a lot on my mind.

Is your spirit running on empty? Are you spiritually tired? Do you find yourself needing a spiritual lift during your week? I beg you to worship. Worship twice a week—once every morning and again on Sunday morning with your CrossPoint family. When you do so, you will not run out of gas.

Next weekend I am required to run 17 miles at one time. I think I will carry three packs of Gu to refuel my body. I may even spend some time feeding my soul during that long run.

No comments: