Thursday, January 04, 2007

CONNECT: Reading through the Bible

So, how are you doing with your daily Bible reading plan? My mom tells me she is staying a few days ahead so she can avoid ever getting behind in her reading. I try to practice the same discipline. It never hurts to remain a day or two ahead just in case something precludes you from reading one day,

The first four days of reading reaped major benefits for me.

From Genesis, the Lord reminded me that it is not good for man to be alone. I still marvel at the fact that although Adam lived in an age of complete innocence—no crime, no sin, no sickness, no government, no politicians, no taxes, no death—his situation was still not good. Wow!

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will
make him a helper fit for him.”
Genesis 2:18

What about this reminder on the second day of our Bible reading? How timely are these words?

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:8 & 9


Of course, the Psalms always speak to me. Did any of you see this sentence hidden at the end of Psalm 2?

Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 2:12b

And then there is this incredible statement of faith made by Job, found in today’s Bible reading plan:

Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.
Job 1:20-22

I think it is rather obvious our plan to “read through the Bible” as we read through the Bible will produce great benefit for us in 2007. If you have not started reading, please start today. You still have time to catch up.
If you are reading through your Bible this year, let me know. Also, I would be curious to hear how the Lord has spoken to you thus far.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have totally been on top of this through the Bible plan! It's funny to sit and read these things... Genesis chapter 1, Job, Joshua... all these "Bible Stories" that I was privvy to as a child and sitting down reading them today... MAN! I just think to myself, "How awesome is my God..." He created EVERYTHING, He allows us to be tested and I can never pass with the grace and dignity Job does, He puts dry land in the middle of a river AGAIN... How did I miss the HUGENESS of my God all these years? He just can't fit into this little box of mine that I tend to create... hmmm

Anonymous said...

We have read it individually each day but plan on starting our own blog to reflect what we have read. One reason is for accountability purposes- if we publish it then we must be committed to reading it and the second reason is to reach just1more. Perhaps someone will find Jesus through the blog. When we get it up and running- I'll send you the link.
This weeks reading has been reassuring for us in that it has been just simple truths that we take for granted. BTW- I love the new translation!
ML