Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Second Chances

So, what did you think of Donald Trump giving Miss USA Tara Conner a second chance amid stories of her bar hopping and underage drinking? (By the way, she turned 21 on Monday!)

I would be curious to read your thoughts. I have a few questions followed by some thoughts.

Did you hear Trump’s rationale for the decision? Trump said of Miss USA, “Tara is a good person. Tara has tried hard. Tara is going to be given a second chance.” Okay, what is it in Trump’s mind that makes Tara Conner a good person? Is it that she showed genuine remorse for her behavior? What would distinguish Tara as a bad person? Better yet, why was she given a second chance?

Here is another question worth asking: is it a bit duplicitous for Donald Trump to be making a moral judgment about someone else’s behavior?

Here is an equally painful question: what motivated Trump to make this decision? Was it an attempt to generate positive publicity? If this were not a public issue, but a private one, would he had said, “You’re fired!”?



Did you hear Miss Conner’s response to Trump’s second chance opportunity? Fighting back tears, she said, "In no way did I think it would be possible for a second chance to be given to me." Then she commented directly to Trump, "You'll never know what this means to me, and I swear I will not let you down.”



Don’t you wish she followed James imperative to “let your ‘yes’ be ‘yes” and your ‘no’ be ‘no’”?
Let’s take a minute to think about forgiveness and second chances.



First, the Bible defines forgiveness as a pardon. To pardon is to choose not to punish. Donald Trump, as the owner of the Miss USA Pageant chose not to punish Miss Connor for her behavior. I think that is noble. However, I think we should also realize that every sin has its consequence. And even though we may be pardoned for our sins, we will never escape the consequence of our sin.



One of the key ingredients associated with true remorse is to accept the consequence. Otherwise, it appears you are just trying to get out of paying your wrong.



I believe a strong indicator of true remorse and repentance includes SAYING you intend to do differently in the future, and also ACTING differently about that behavior.



Thus, the true test of Miss USA’s remorse is whether or not she actually means it and shows it by her actions. And the validity of Mr. Trump’s pardon will be seen in whether or not he holds this act over her head.




Finally, and most importantly, aren’t you thankful the Lord Jesus Christ gives us second chances? And let me add third chances, fourth chances, fifth chances, and sixth chances and…I think you get the picture. If it were not for grace of Jesus Christ, none of us would have a shot at a first chance, much less a second chance; not Trump, not Miss USA nor you or me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I know is that I'm not sure I consider Mr. Trump a moral compass, but I can only assume that since he was given chance after chance (after having 2 failed marriages because of alleged affairs), he feels he needs to give Miss USA a second chance... I don't think Miss USA should be allowed to represent America, however, the sad fact is, her actions represent too many Americans. She just so happened got caught.