Sunday, December 24, 2006

Giving Grace with Being Gracious

Just when some thought Donald Trump had figured out the gift of grace, he proves them wrong. It appears Mr. Trump’s “second chance” opportunity with Miss USA Tara Conner was more for pumping his image than it was for promoting grace.

Where is the proof?

Surely by now you have heard of Donald Trump and Rosie O’Donnell exchanging verbal barbs over his act of grace. It started when Rosie O’Donnell said on her morning television show “The View”:



"Because his show ‘The Apprentice' is starting again in January, he held a big press conference to see if he was going to allow Miss USA, such a prestigious title. It's basically a model competition . . . They have one question in Miss USA, yeah and they're like ‘I'd like to cure cancer and end world hunger – and then I'd like to go to Studio 54 and do some crack.'"


“There he is, hair looping, going everywhere; everyone deserves a second chance. He's the moral authority? Left the first wife, had an affair, left the second wife, had an affair, had kids both times, but he's the moral compass for twenty year olds in America. Donald, sit and spin, my friend."

She also said she expected him to sue her but added "he'll probably be bankrupt by that time so I won't have to worry."


To that Trump retorted:

"Rosie's been a loser for a long time," he told Access. "Her magazine failed, she got sued. She folded up like a tent."

"Rosie is somebody out of control who really just doesn't have it and she ought to be careful because I'll send one of my friends to pick up her girlfriend and I think it would be very easy," he said.



Just a few days ago many were giving Mr. Trump kudos for his act of grace toward Miss USA. You will recall I asked some serious questions about his motive and intent. Today, I think some of those questions have been answered.

Once again, the Donald has prompted me to ask some questions and provide some thoughts about grace.

Here is a good question: can someone extend true grace to another human being with being gracious? That is what Mr. Trump has pulled off. He extended grace to Tara Conner, yet did so without being gracious. For if he was truly gracious, he would have withheld his comments about Rosie O’Donnell.

Here is another question worth asking: how can someone seem so merciful on Monday and yet turn so callous two days later? Were they actually being merciful or was their mercy a mere act?

If I were one of Mr. Trump’s advisers I would suggest he let Rosie O’Donnell’s words fall by the wayside. Rosie accomplished much when Trump decided to respond with his own spiteful comments. By lashing back, Trump gave credence to Rosie’s thoughts. If he had remained silent, no one would care what she said by this weekend. Often times the best response to a vengeful word is to respond with silence.

While watching this scenario unfold over the last few days, I started comparing Mr. Trump’s and Miss O’Donnell’s tirade to the words Jesus gave us in Matthew 5:1-12. In case you have not heard, if the Lord is willing I want to preach the Sermon on the Mount for much of 2007. The message series begins January 21 as we examine each of the eight beatitudes.

Read what Jesus said as you think about Donald and Rosie’s outburst:



Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."
“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter
all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
Matthew 5:1-12

Can you imagine the kind of stir Trump would have created if he had remained focused on his motives from Monday? Better yet, what if he responded with one of the Beattitudes instead of with vengeance? There would be no way possible to measure the response according to hype and ratings. Instead, it appears Donald extended grace without being gracious. Again, I ask, is that possible? Is it possible to give grace to others without being a gracious person? Perhaps it is in Donald Trump’s empire, but I know it is not true in the kingdom of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what scares me about all this? I am just as capable as Mr. Trump and/or Rosie when it comes to such conduct. There is within me, lurking deep within my psyche and soul, a Mr. Hyde waiting to spring out.

Another thing that scares me is that I am the king of rationalization and justification! I can rationalize and/or justify just about anything I say or do at any given time. Given the right situation, I can do and or say things of unimaginable nature.

It's not that I want to do those things... they just spring out before I'm able to stop it! I have the battle going on in me that Paul talked about in Romans 7.

"Who shall deliver me from myself?" That would be God through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

You make some very good points about Donald and Rosie. You are right that we need to take a lesson from these events and know there are "Donalds" and "Rosies" in each of us and walk in the Spirit so that we do not carry out the desires of the flesh.

Ron