Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Assurance Leftovers

One of my childhood memories includes eating leftovers on Sunday night. The weekly ritual was both practical and memorable. It was practical in that it gave my mother room for more food in the refrigerator. It was unforgettable in that it created a fond family event I still recall today.

On most Mondays I have several leftovers from the previous day’s message. When I am preparing a message I often have more truth from God’s Word than I have time to deliver. Last Sunday’s message serves as an excellent example.

In the third section of my message titled “I Believe in the Holy Spirit”, I spoke of seven ways the Holy Spirit is active in our life. One of the ways I taught the Holy Spirit works in us by assuring us of our salvation. While studying the Holy Spirit’s role of assuring us, I returned to a review of some key passages from the book of 1 John regarding the evidence of our salvation.
Since I did not have time to present these five keys in my message two days ago, I have decided to provide them in my blog for your personal benefit:
1. You believe and confess that Jesus is the Christ.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.
1 John 5:1
2. You will refrain from a pattern of continual sin.

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.
1 John 3:9

3. You will love your brother.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

1 John 4:7

4. You will overcome the temptations of the world.

This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
1 John 5:3-4
5. You will be safe from ultimate harm by the evil one.

We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him.
1 John 5:18

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This "leftover" was one of those that you knew the first time it was served, it was delicious. This was the icing on the cake. The messages on the Apostles' Creed have been so powerful that it leaves no doubt where it came from. God has prepared it and Ryan is serving it. I pray for everyone who hears to "chew" on the message slowly and absorb it into their life, and let it become evident in what others see.