Thursday, May 11, 2006

Over the Top

Last night’s Worship on Wednesday at CrossPoint was over the top. It was a great evening of worship, fellowship and ministry. Once again, Bryan Haskins inspired us by allowing us to worship with him. As a sidebar comment, I believe that is the first time I have ever heard the phrase “prolific dissertation” used in a solo. And, I might add, it was used brilliantly.

What can I say about Calvin Miller? He is a gift to the kingdom of God. Every time he speaks his listeners are encouraged. Every time he writes his readers are challenged.

While speaking he made many noteworthy comments. Allow me to remind you of a few.

Did you hear his remark that “holy is a heavy word; it is one of the heaviest four letter words I know.” He is correct. I also valued his clarification of the word holy; that it is not a state of achievement or attainment as much as it is a desire or hunger for God.

The Saint Bernard of Clairvaux’s comment about humility also pricked my heart. Quoting the French monastic reformer, Dr. Miller said, “The first and greatest Christian virtue is humility. The second is… humility. And the third is… humility. And the fourth is…”

His comments about the vitality of a church were encouraging. I sensed by your demonstrative response that you agreed.

Of course, I believe he nailed it on the head when he talked about the plastic nature of our culture. I hear he and his wife are taking the kids and grandkids to Disney World after selling so many of his books last night.
Perhaps his best comment of the night was given after worship, when he told a CrossPointer, “I believe this is the happiest church I have ever been in.” He added, “Every person in the room seemed so full of joy.”
Last night was memorable. That is one of the purposes of WOW—to make eternal, heart-felt impressions on us. Thanks to Bryan Haskins and Calvin Miller, that purpose was fulfilled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The American Church and Suffering

Why doesn't the church in America suffer, physically or economically? It seems you would have to conclude one of two things:

1) Either the American government and culture is principally in agreement with the tenets of the church

2) Or the church in America does or says nothing which is generally disagreeable

I copied this from my son't blogspot. I believe number 2 is correct after last night's message. Until the church calls sin "Sin", the church will never be challenged. As we strive to be holy, we must call sin what it is. I have never understood why Christians won't rally against something they believe is wrong. Is it the fear of being seen, or someone else will do it. Maybe it is because we don't have conviction enough to stand against sin. The Apostle's Creed has taught us what we believe but if we don't use it Ryan has wasted some really good thoughts.
I too love leftovers but the most important reason is that I don't have to cook that night. Aren't we glad that there are no left overs when it comes to God. He always gives us the best but we give him normally what we have left, "the leftovers". We always have an excuse for something we don't want to do. Until striving for holiness is full time with us the church will never come under fire. Last night was a great service and I thought Calvin Miller held back some. Can't wait to hear him again. Gay Jones