Friday, November 02, 2007

A Rebound Bible

A CrossPointer gave me the following quote Sunday morning. They said a friend of theirs had their Bible rebound and the company that did the work placed this paragraph in it for them:
This Book contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, and comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword, and the Christian’s charter. Christ is its subject, our good is it’s design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully. It is given to you in life, will be open in judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor and condemns all who trifle with its holy precepts.
I know many of you accepted the challenge to read through the Bible this year. As we come to the end of the year we are on the final leg of the race. For those of you still competing, I encourage you to finish strong. For those of you who started but did not complete it, and for those who have never attempted to read through the Word of God, I want you to start preparing to read through the entire Bible in 2008.

There are six things every believer and follower of Christ should do with the Word of God. We should HEAR it, READ it, STUDY it, MEMORIZE it, MEDITATE on it, and APPLY it. And why should we do these things with God’s Word? The Bible answers that question:
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.
Psalm 119:9-16

Did you notice the recurring theme of this passage? Look closely. You will see it. Here is a hint…
How can a young man keep his way pure?
… your word.
… your commandments!
… your word…
… your statutes…
…all the rules of your mouth
… your testimonies
… your precepts
… your ways.
… your statutes;
… your word.
The power to life is found in the Word of God. Begin now to set your heart on reading through God’s Word in 2008. Buy a new Bible. Purchase a pen you will use to record your thoughts and insights in the margins. Get ready. We want to go through God’s Word so His Word will go through us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, thank you so much for challenging us to read the Bible the last three years. Most of the time a book is usually boring the second time around, but the Bible is so interesting and involving. It gets more interesting every year. I look forward to reading it again and again. Roxie

Anonymous said...

thanks for the chance to connect with us (crosspoint) you when i need it. tone