Friday, June 01, 2007

Three Disciplines I Cannot Live Without

Yesterday morning I spent a considerable amount of time in personal prayer and devotion. I try to spend some time alone with God each day, and I try to keep that time separate from my normal routine of developing messages. Wednesday morning, however, was different in that I did not worry about the time or my schedule. I followed the Lord’s leading while I prayed, read Scripture, meditated, journalized my thoughts, and studied specific passages for my own personal devotion throughout the morning. As a result, I was able to enjoy a great time of fellowship and worship all the while feasting with the Lord during that time of solitude.

I was so glad I devoted that time to pray and study. I thank CrossPoint for giving me the kind of schedule that can be devoted to what the Apostles called prayer and to the ministry of the word (Acts 6:4). I believe “prayer and ministry of the word” are inseparable. A pastor cannot be effective in one area while forsaking the other. As your pastor, I trust you know how seriously I accept the role as your spiritual leader.

While enjoying my time alone with the Lord I wondered out loud if I would give myself to moments like these even if I were not called to vocational ministry. My answer was quick and definite—yes. The Lord reminded me I learned the secret of time alone with Him long before I heard His call to ministry. Somewhere between my late high school and early college days I learned the secret of an intimate devotional life. And, I am convinced, it was through the discipline of a quiet time I was able to hear God’s voice with distinct clarity when He called me to preach.

Today I spent a moment or two reflecting back on my journal entries from Wednesday morning. Without consciously knowing it, I focused on three ingredients necessary for a personal and fulfilling devotional life with the Lord. I list these three items for your consideration. Although I have listed these items in order, each deserves equal attention.

First, I must devote myself to fervent prayer.

I admit that I DO NOT and CAN NOT pray enough. Prayer is a spiritual discipline that requires much time and effort. The more time and effort I put into prayer, the better I know the Lord and His will for my life.

There is a sentence in the Old Testament that teaches me something about the secret of prayer. It reads,

Before they call I will answer;
while they are yet speaking I will hear.
Isaiah 65:24
The verse suggests there is something the Lord intends for me to experience in prayer that I will not experience in anything else.

Next, I must relentlessly study the Word of God.

I know God’s Word better today than I did when I was in high school. Yet I desperately need to know it in greater depth and detail to continue on the path the Lord wants me to go.

I am reminded of the admonition of Paul to Timothy, when he recorded, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15).

Part of doing my best to present myself to God includes diligent study of the Bible. Diligent study takes time and concentration. It also requires me to conform to what the Bible says rather than trying to have the Bible conform to me.

Finally, I must align myself with God’s Holy Spirit.

Each morning I must be filled with the Spirit in order to be controlled by God. The best way for me to do that is to admit my weaknesses and revel in them before the Lord. Someone once said, “No man can glorify Christ and himself at the same time.” That statement rings with truth, doesn’t it? I admit my weaknesses, foibles, follies and sins before the Lord so that I can align my life with His will.

The Lord instructed Jeremiah, “Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord” (Jeremiah 9:23-24).

I know my job requires me to develop these and other spiritual disciplines. I would be negligent if I did not perfect the skills of my trade. Yet I am convinced I was on this path to deeper spiritual growth well before I was called into vocational ministry.

So, why do I spend time alone with the Lord? I am so thankful my motivation has little to do with my job (although it sure does benefit me in my profession). I am thankful I learned the secret of spending time alone with God because it makes me yearn more for the Lord.

Like many of you I have continued to read through my Bible following the CrossPoint Bible reading plan for 2007. I, therefore, do not think it was an accident that our Bible reading for the Wednesday included Psalm 63, which part of it reads,

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.
Psalm 63:1-4
And so, that is how I concluded my personal time alone with the Lord.What about you? What kind of personal and private time do you spend with the Lord?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am at a wonderful time in my life now because I have more time to spend with God. I try my best to meditate on God’s Word daily and I pray more now than I have every before. The more I pray and study God’s Word and learn of Him the more I have a desire to continue seeking His Will for my life and not mine. I have an awesome relationship with Jesus and I delight in Him. He has given me a new desire and that desire is “more of Him” I love to PRAISE Him and THANK Him for all He has done in my life, even though I am going through some difficult times, I still feel drawn to just Praise and Thank rather than complain or ask why is this going on. I know in my heart and spirit that all of my circumstance is for a reason and I can’t explain it well, but I have a peace inside that keeps me joyful even in the pain. There was a time when I lived for me and what I wanted to do I did, but now that person is gone and I live for Christ and what He expects of me, not in my own strength, but of course with His help. I have so much power and victory now in my life and that all began when I gave God my time and made myself available for Him to actually work on and through me. As busy as things are these days, if we would just “BE STILL AND KNOW HE IS GOD” more people would be able to hear from Him. The enemy has a plan to keep as many as he can busy and consumed with stupid stuff that we will not have time or energy for God and when we do attempt it….we have a hard time concentrating! God honors any time we devote to Him! I promise, and it will not be time wasted!! God Bless you all!!