Monday, May 21, 2007

Two Pressing Questions

I have discovered my Monday morning run typically sets the pace for the remainder of my week. It is during this run I usually align my schedule and sort my thoughts.

This morning my thoughts were dominated by two pressing questions. These two questions continue to linger in my mind the more I study my salvation through Jesus Christ.

During the first few minutes of my run, when I am usually warming up my pace, I asked myself how much humility is enough humility?

Can a man humble himself enough before Almighty God? When a man humbles himself enough before God, would he ever know it? What can a man do to humble himself more than he already has? How is humility measured? What is humility?

After miles one and two I asked myself a similar question: how much faith is enough faith?

Jesus said all I needed was faith the size of a mustard seed? Does that mean a little faith goes a long way? If a little faith goes a long way, how far would much faith go? Can a man believe enough in Almighty God? When a man believes enough in God, would he ever know it? What can a man do to believe more than he already has? How is faith measured? What is faith?

As I neared the end of my run, I settled on these answers. One, a man can NEVER humble himself enough before God. Two, a man can NEVER have enough faith.

I am convinced more and more that ongoing repentance and increasing faith are two definite signs of salvation every believer and follower of Christ must possess. Without repentance and faith we cannot be born again. Without repentance and faith we cannot live the born again life Christ called us to live. Sure, there are other attributes children of God possess that point to their salvation. I am convinced however, without true brokenness for one’s sin and complete trust in God Almighty, no one can live the Christian life.

As you start your week, I encourage you to begin each day by repenting and believing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

During a class that I was teaching yesterday morning we were looking at the scripture that states "Don't think to highly of yourself" and I commented about what I am seeing in your life...Your preaching, Your Blog, etc. You have all of the gifts and talents (God Given) not to mention a church that is growing very fast that many pastors could easily slip into a "Big Headed" "Look what I've Done" attitude and God seems to be keeping you focused and you are keeping our focus on... the important things of the Christian faith... Humility, Salvation, and Faith. I think that God wants to use you more than you can even imagine and he knows that there cannot be even one once of PRIDE and "Look What I've Done" in you. It's all about God... His Work... His Plan... His Purposes!! I am glad my Pastor allows the Holy Spirit to work in and through his life like you do. Praise God!!

Tim

Pastor Ryan said...

Tim, 1 Peter 5:5b says,"all of you clothe yourselves with humility toward one another." Remember, the higher the buildings go up, the lower we must go down. Thank you for praying for me.