Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Running and the Life in Christ

I guess it is now obvious how obsessed I am about running marathons. Running two marathons in 33 days is a bit compulsive. Although my body is still paying the price, I am so glad I decided to do it. Now I know it can be done. I also know I will not try that feat again.

Looking back through my blogs from the last several months, I noticed a definite pattern in my writing. Periodically each month I write about running. I like running because I believe there are many similarities between running and the Christian life. Please allow me to elaborate.

First, both running and the Christian life are similar in that they have a definite goal in mind, and that is to finish.

For the marathoner, a good finish is measured three ways. One, did I finish the race? Two, did I finish within my goal time? Three, did I finish strong?

For the Christ follower, a good finish is measured in much the same way—did I finish, did I finish strong and did I finish remaining faithful to Christ?

In speaking of his finishing the race, Paul wrote:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7

Another similarity between running and the Christian life is the prize the racers receive for competing.

Elite marathoners receive prize money and world-wide acclaim for winning a marathon. Novice marathoners like me and the thousands of others who compete receive the satisfaction of knowing you have completed the course. The completing the race is usually celebrated within seconds after crossing the finish line when the organizers place a commemorative medallion around your neck. My five marathon medallions are hanging on a wooden cross in my study, just beneath a crown of thorns. That’s a good place for those medals. Positioning the medals in that location, remind me of the great price Christ paid for me to compete.

Paul spoke of his reward in the next sentence to Timothy:

Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:8

Also, running and the Christian life are similar in that both require strict training and discipline.

It usually takes 14 – 18 weeks to get in shape for a marathon. That training plan includes an increase in mileage each week in order to increase your physical stamina. There is also speed work which increases your cardiovascular strength. And, you must watch you diet in order to remain fit.

To live your life for Christ, you must develop disciplines that increase ones endurance and witness in Christ. Paul teaches:

Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:7-8

Finally, running and the Christian life are similar in that you must remain focused.

Yes, I enjoy the sights and sounds associated with a marathon. Most marathons are run in major cities, where you can enjoy the city’s surroundings. However, anyone serious about running a marathon must remain focused in order not to trip or to be disqualified.

The writer of Hebrews speaks of the Christian’s focus, when he writes:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2

There is so much more I could write comparing running and the Christian life. The previous comparisons are not exhaustive. What they do highlight, though, is a real connection between competing and completing a faithful life in Christ.

For all the CrossPointers reading today’s blog, I want to remind you we being WOW—Worship on Wednesday—tonight at 6:30 PM. This is one of my favorite times of the year when the adults of CrossPoint gather for worship and fellowship in the middle of the week.

We kick off WOW tonight with a concert from a CrossPoint home band known as 3 Sixteen. Keith Brooks, Dan Weathers, Roger Shaneyfelt and some of their friends will debut their new CD “Reaching Out.” The song “Just One More” is on this CD, and it was written by Keith Brooks in honor of CrossPoint’s vision. I hope we pack the house tonight to kickoff a great summer of WOW and to let these men know how much we love them.

And finally, you are going to crack up when you watch the video in tomorrow’s blog. Every time I view it I see something new I did not see before. I will give you a hint as what to expect—you will laugh and worship at the same time.

Until then, I look forward to communicating with you tomorrow.

No comments: