Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why Are We So Quick to Blame?

I promise this will be my last commentary (this week) about Monday’s mass killings.

Is it just me, or have any of you noticed how our media is so quick to assess blame with regard to Monday’s horrible killing spree at Virginia Tech? Why is that? Why is it that we have to blame someone so early in the aftermath?

While driving to my office Tuesday morning I listened to Lee Davis on News Talk Radio FM 101.1 rant and rave about the campus security not shutting down the campus after the first murder was discovered. He also threw the president of Virginia Tech out of the boat for meeting “with his advisers” to decide what to do rather than doing something. His rant irked me so much I did something I never do; I called his show to disagree. After making the call I realized I played right into his ploy—that is, make an absurd statement and see how the general public responds. He stated his absurd case and I responded with a phone call.

Back to my original point: why is it our country is so quick to access blame? According to some, the president should be fired for not shutting down the campus.

Others say the campus police did not do enough to protect the students.

Some are blaming the state legislature of Virginia for having relaxed gun laws.

And then there is Rosie O’Donnell blaming the United States Government for the imploding of World Trade Center Building #7. (Oops! Where did that come from? Show restraint, Ryan. Don’t go there, as much as you would like to).

Don’t forget Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson for… (easy, Ryan, easy!)

I think you get the drift.

Now, back to my original question: why are we so quick to asses blame? Why are people so quick to judge?Why don’t we place blame where it is deserved? The massacre was a result of Cho Seung-Hoi's sin-sick mind. That is the person we need to eviscerate, not the president or the campus police or anyone else. Yes, in time, we can evaluate their response. But right now is not the time to fault them for Hoi’s massive killing spree.

I suspect some of us are quick to blame because we feel like someone should be held accountable for such a great injustice. Perhaps others are quick to blame because they have no other way to explain the cold, harsh facts that sinful people do sinful and vile things to other people. Maybe pointing the finger of responsibility is way for some to feel superior in their morality.

This I do know—it is in times like these the church can, should and must respond. And we must respond not with blame but with faith. In times like these is when we, the people of God, should minister. We should support, help, pray and encourage. And perhaps it is in our responding this way, others will see the answer to why or how or who is found in an abiding relationship with Jesus Christ.

I would be curious to hear why you think the blame game is such a big deal in times like these.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I fully agree with the blame being thrown at the sin-sick, demon possessed mind of the killer, what I find most interesting is the students are including the shooter in the number of deaths they are mourning. There are 33 stones in the makeshift memorial; I've seen the number 33 all over signs and memorials built by students on the Va Tech campus. I'd be curious to hear opinions and thoughts on this.

Anonymous said...

First I'd like to respond to Vaughn's comment...I hope and pray that they are sincerely including him in their mourning for the fact that there is a very real possibility that he will end up in Hell. We no longer have a chance to help him or to guide him to a relationship with his Savior.

The blame game sells airtime! The fact that no perfectly thought out plan or specially assigned team could have prevented all this doesn't grab the attention of a depraved public. They don't want to see their President comforting and praying with the grieving families. They want someone to be at fault, because the only one who is really at fault is already gone. End of story. Doesn't sell well, huh??

Anonymous said...

Interesting angle on the mourning! You also hit it on the head with the media. A pig will always go back to mud no matter how many times you clean it up!!

Anon, you can click on "Other" when posting a comment and it will allow you to leave your name with your comment.

Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I think tragedies reveal the compassion of man. By including this madman in this makeshift memorial, these students are showing some compassion.

From what I read, this madman had plenty of people reach out to him as well.

And, there is nothing we could have done to prevent this tragedy.

Thanks for your comments.