Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Bible and Tragedy

I know many of you are like me today—overwhelmed with the news coverage coming out of Blaksburg, Virginia. My wife commented last night that she could not watch or listen to this news all week. I agreed.

There are many issues that will emerge from this senseless tragedy. For example, the gun control enthusiast will use this massacre for leverage on tighter gun control laws. Another hot topic arising from this tragedy will be campus security. I think student confidentiality agreements will also be something discussed as a result of this situation.

Lucinda Roy, the English Professor who taught Cho Seung-Hui, recognized early in her class something was awry with Cho. The news media is reporting she recommended he drop her class because he was making other students nervous with his behavior. It is also reported she recommended him to a school counselor, and there are additional reports that she may have even notified the police campus of his disturbing behavior. Professor Roy obviously went the second mile to get this disturbed student some help. However, it appears she was the only one making such an effort.

When Diane Sawyer of Good Morning America asked Professor Roy if she thought about notifying his parents, the professor said current laws pertaining to a student’s confidentiality forbid her to make such a contact.

In short, Cho’s massive killing at Virginia Tech is a national tragedy. As we learn more details, we will realize other great tragedies have also occurred.

As we continue to talk about how to cope with this horrible mass murder, I must ask how many of you read your Bible this morning. I ask that question for two reasons. First, I ask the question, because I believe the Bible has an answer for every dilemma in life. The second reason for asking the question is that the Bible had something to say specifically to us this morning in our daily Bible reading plan.

Read what the Bible says from Psalm 46:

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling.
Selah


There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

Psalm 46:1-7


Wow, what comfort—God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Did you notice the placement of the “though” comments? It is as if the writer is saying, “I know times are troubling. I know your days seem tragic. I know things seem out of control. But take heart—God is in control!”

Of course, the psalm ends with this noted exhortation:

"Be still, and know that I am God.

I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"

The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Psalm 46:10-11

Each day I amazed at how God’s word speaks to us and to our situations. If only we would read and study it more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Each day I stand in awe of how huge our God is!! I am amazed at how He is faithful with a healing Word at just the right time. Even this past weekend I was blessed to go to South Carolina to a Beth Moore Conference and was so encouraged and "on fire" when I got home. And don't you just know that Pastor Ryan preached on some of the same things on Sunday??!! God is so good, especially in the midst of tragedy, to remind us of who He is and that He is always with us. Shows His incredible love for us!!
May those families who lost loved ones in VA find a peace that surpasses all understanding as they struggle through this terrible time.
Lisa B.