Thursday, March 15, 2007

Two Weeks and Counting

I am two weeks away from the ING Georgia Marathon. I have thus far completed 16 weeks of training for this marathon. During the last six weeks I have logged 50, 34, 50, 34, 50 & 34 total miles respectively.

Last Friday I ran the fastest half marathon I have ever run. I completed 13.1 miles in 1:59:44. That is a 9:12 per mile pace, which is 48 second per mile faster than what I want to average in Atlanta.

Toward the end of that run my right hamstring started hurting me. The last mile or so I was in considerable pain, yet I had a goal to complete my run in less than 2 hours and so I pushed it. That was not a good idea. I have rested my hamstring since then, and it has improved minimally during that time.
I told Vonda this morning that I would be terribly disappointed if I was not able to run my marathon due to this latest injury. I plan to take a few more days off to recuperate.

I have been here before, however. Approximately 8 weeks ago I had some sciatica nerve problem. I iced it three times a day and took a few days off. I was back running by the end of the week. I am praying I can do the same with my hamstring. The Runner’s World Injury Prevention Guide says it may take one to three weeks to heal. Let’s pray my hamstring heals in one week or less.

Thanks for letting me log another entry about my marathon training. As you might expect, training for a marathon consumes a lot of your time and thinking. I guess that is why I devote so much time to writing about it.

I selfishly ask that you pray for my hamstring to heal and heal quickly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you have been running too many miles!

Anonymous said...

God DOES care about marathons and those who run them. Prayers and blessings for your "hammy."

Ron

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, another way of saying that is I may be too old to be training like a 20 year old. Yes, I probably have logged too many miles.