Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Try Thanksgiving

Tonight my mother and Vonda’s parents will be spending the night with us. Even though our parents live in the Birmingham area, we wanted to enhance the holiday occasion by asking them to spend the night with us. Don’t you know that “out of town” company always makes the holiday more festive. We have also asked the kids not to make any plans for tonight. We want to reserve the evening specifically for family.

Thanksgiving takes on a different meaning for my family this year. It will be the first Thanksgiving we celebrate without my stepfather, Rick, or Vonda’s grandmother, Granny, being present. Yes, we will shed a few tears as we think of them. But we will also rejoice knowing they are celebrating their first Thanksgiving in heaven.

While thinking of our families’ loss this year, I was reminded of a story from Henry Frost. Henry Frost served for many years as a missionary to China. In his journal he wrote of a very difficult time in his life. He says, "I had received sad news from home, and deep shadows had covered my soul. I prayed but the darkness did not vanish. I summoned myself to endure, but the darkness only deepened. Then I went to an inland station and saw on the wall of the mission home these words: ’TRY THANKSGIVING.’ I did, and in a moment every shadow was gone, not to return.”

My family will “TRY THANKSGIVING” this year. Sure there will be times we will want to cry; and cry we will. But we will prevail over our grief by giving thanks.

In “TRYING THANKSGIVING” this year I will…
…Wake up early and build a fire in the fireplace
…Run with Steve Parr in the Jewish Community Center 10K Race
…Savor my time with our parents
…Enjoy the holiday with my children
…Eat my favorite dish—sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans
...Take at least two naps during the day
…Give thanks for the many ways the Lord has blessed my family
…Watch plenty of football games
…Laugh a lot

What about you? What will you do to “TRY THANKSGIVING” this year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family this year.