Sunday, October 29, 2006

Worshipping the Wrong gods

I have a very special friend who lives in Hong Kong. His name is Harry Lucenay, and he is the pastor of Kowloon International Baptist Church.

Harry and I have been friends for more than 20 years. Actually, I first met Dr. Lucenay when he served as my brother’s pastor back in the late 1970s, while Rhett attended college at the University of Southern Mississippi.

When I entered the ministry, Dr. Lucenay and the fine people of Temple Baptist Church of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, allowed me to serve as their Student Minister. It was my joy to have one of Harry’s children, involved in that ministry. Today, his son Jonathan and my son, Taylor, are now good friends thanks to us keeping in touch with one another.
Harry Lucenay was very instrumental in my formative years of ministry. He helped shape much of my belief and practice as a pastor. He still offers wise counsel to me, even from the other side of the world.

Each week I receive an update from Harry pertaining to his ministry in Asia. The articles he sends are always intriguing. This particular week I received an email post that startled me. I share it with you, trusting it has the same effect.

Harry writes,

“Some times you hear a word about a believer that makes you wonder what is going on in his/her mind. A man whose mother is in the final stages of her battle with cancer did not want to allow anyone to share the gospel with his mom. Why? He didn’t want her to feel bad for spending her life worshiping the wrong gods.”

Does that response stir you? It should.

Imagine not wanting your family member to hear the gospel because it might make them “feel bad.” I pray I never get so used to the gospel that I am not willing to make someone feel bad or to offend them so they can have the opportunity to be born again.

No comments: