Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Physical Training is of some value

The word is coming in that many of you are taking up the Couch to the 5K training program. That is huge! I am super proud of you for trying. Hang in there. Take one day at a time.

For those of you trying to get in shape let me give you a few pointers:
  • Wear proper shoes & clothing. Make sure the shoes you are wearing fit you well and are built for running. Dress comfortably. For those seriously committed to the training program, I encourage you to spend some extra shekels on running shoes and shorts from someone like Trak Shak in Homewood or off Highway 280. Plus, the salespeople in stores like that usually know what kind of shoes should fit your type arch. For instance, I wear a heavier stabilizer shoe, while someone like Steve Parr wears a lighter performance training shoe.
  • Pace yourself. Do not overdo it. Take your time. You want to build into the program. Few of you will run at the pace you think you can run. Start at a slow pace, like a jog, and then each week build into a faster pace. Remember, it is how you finish, not how you start, that counts.
  • Be consistent. I try to exercise the same time every day, the same days every week. That way I build consistency and my body learns to adjust to that pattern. For example, I exercise every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday morning. My days off are Thursday and Sunday. It is good to break up your week with a day off scheduled at least after every two or three days of training.
  • Keep a journal. I like to record my progress whenever I am training for a race. I encourage you to do the same thing. Try keeping a 10-week journal monitoring your progress. In my journal I record items like my time & distance, the weather conditions, how I felt and so on. You may even want to record your weight loss.
  • Some days will be better than others. When the bad days come, slow down your pace. Your goal is to finish. Most bad days are the result of progress. I know most of my soreness usually comes after a long run or after I moved up a notch in my training routine. Bad days are expected. I think they show signs of progress.
  • Exercise on a track. It is safer. It is better on your feet and legs. Plus, at the track you can monitor more accurate records.
  • Enjoy yourself. If you have not already noticed, the exercise routine lasts only 30 minutes. This is not a hard routine. The cumulative effect is what you are banking on. Stay with it each day, and you will be surprised at your progress.

I am proud of you for putting for the effort to get in shape and to stay in shape. Remember, Paul admonished his readers with this truth: For physical training is of some value…(1 Timothy 4:8).

No comments: