Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Going to Church

While studying the last several weeks in order to prepare for the “I Praise” worship series I am preaching, I have been reminded of how we talk church in most of our conversations.

Have you ever noticed how we talk about “church”? Consider these examples:
How was church today?
Where do you go to church?
Was church good?
We want you to visit our church.
Church sure was long today.


I know what we mean when we talk about church this way, but in actuality I think we have it all wrong. I know much of my aforementioned thinking is based on semantics. However, I believe the semantics tell more about us than we are willing to admit.

So what’s my point? I think the way we talk about church supports our view of church. On Sunday we don’t go to church; we are the church. And, on Sunday we don’t go to church, we go to worship.

I like the way Harold Best describes what I am attempting to explain. Best says, “We don’t go to church to worship, we go to church because we are worshipers.”
Instead of going to church this next weekend, I pray we gather for worship.

No comments: