Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Need for Improved Parenting

So, I am reading this book The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman. As I mentioned earlier in the week, the focus of the tome is the convergence of change we are experiencing so early in the 21st century. With approximately 100 pages remaining, I am looking to finish the book and turn to another volume on my vacation list. Then, like a lightning bolt out of a blue sky, Friedman surprises me. Remember this is a book about 21st century facts and bringing them all together to expose the breakneck pace of our age.

While espousing social activism and retail reform, Friedman drops this bomb:

No discussion of compassionate flatism would be complete without also discussing
the need for improved parenting.


Do what? Did he just say that if we are going to succeed in the convergence and collaboration that is flattening our world, we need to improve our parenting? You better believe he does; and he has something worth repeating as he elaborates.

Friedman adds,

…Helping individuals adapt to a flat world is not only the job of governments and companies. It is also the job of parents. They too need to know in what world their kids are growing up and what it will take for them to thrive. Put simply, we need a new generation of parents ready to administer tough love. There comes a time when you’ve got to put away the Game Boys, turn off the television set, put away the iPod, and get your kids down to work (p.303).



Wow! Pow! Directly in the middle of a book about economics, politics and social agendas, Thomas Friedman nails it.

Here is my take on Friedman’s angle. Parents have the huge responsibility to get involved and stay involved in the lives of their children. It is not the schools’ job or the governments’ job or the villages’ job to raise children. That job belongs to the parents. Parents are accountable to God. They are also accountable to society. As the family goes, so goes society. As parents go, so go their children.
Friedman adds:

The sense of entitlement, the sense that because we once dominated global commerce and geopolitics—and Olympic basketball—we always will, the sense that delayed gratification is a punishment worse than a spanking, the sense that our kids have to be swaddled in cotton wool so that nothing bad or disappointing or stressful ever happens to them at school is, quite simply, a growing cancer on American society. And if we don’t start to reverse it, our kids are going to be in for a huge and socially disruptive shock from the flat world. While a different approach by politicians is necessary, it is not sufficient.



Imagine what would happen if parents acted on the author’s advice. We would have better schools; that’s for sure. We would have stronger family values. Our moral system would not be so debased. I think our churches would even be stronger.

I find it interesting that a purely secular book espouses the need for stronger parenting. This is a good reminder for the church. It is also a good reminder for me. It reminds me, first, to stay involved in the lives of my children—not coddling them, but disciplining, training and coaching them to be the man and woman God has called them to be. It reminds me to stay on point in my message to the church. Parents are called by God. We better take that task more seriously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach on....I am in a postion within the education system to meet many families of all different makeups. It amazes me to see the number of moms and dads rescuing their children from consequences caused by their own actions.
I can remember getting in trouble at school and getting in worse trouble for it at home. Those days are gone.
My affirmation that this is a foreign concept these days occurred when I found out my 3 year old was misbehaving at his preschool without my knowledge. I happened to be at his school one day and I witnessed him not listening to the teacher after she said something twice. When I asked her why I hadn't been informed so I could deal with it, her response was,"I think that it's just 3 year old behavior and so I just ignore it." I informed her that it is 3 year old behavior, but I have a responsibility to correct and shape it. After talking to the director, she confirmed the teacher...they didn't believe in sending notes home to parents about these things.
Well, I had been affirming his bad behavior each day when I praised him for what I did not know. I liked the preschool, so I had to take charge of my child's learning. I created and printed off a very simple checklist that was attached to his bag each day. I explained to him that if he came home with any checks- it was an automatic spanking. He got several spankings the first few weeks and then he caught on.
It was horrifying as a parent to think that my child acted that way and got away with it.
Needless to say, he knows how to act at school and knows that there are consequences for behavior.

It pains me to think that parents feel guilty about disciplining, not being able to buy their kids something, or saying no.
These kids will not be ready to take on the flat world!

Anonymous said...

This is a pet peeve with me. I would love to teach a parenting class at church. I think I raised three great children. They are all very successful. They were raised very strict but it paid off. They are not emotional cripples. I have a niece that cannot function because she has been catered too all her life. At 1 that might be cute but at 30 it is horrible. I don't want to get on my soap box here, but I have worked with children in 3 different preschools. Children, until they leave home, should not be able to tell their parents what they will and will not do. I will hear parents say, well my child doesn't like to do this or do that. Your child doesn't have the emotional or spiritual maturity to make those decisions for themselves. That is your respsonsiblity as a parent. You can be their friend after they are grown. Right now they need a parent. Mandi and I couldn't be better friends. Of course, while she was growning up, I didn't know if I would let her live long enough to be her friend. That is a different story but my work as a parent paid off and she is a functioning member of society. Praise on a child is a great motivator. You don't have to buy them anything for making good grades. Doing the best of your ability should be expected not bartered for. Parenting is tough and parents need to step up to the plate. Train up a child can mean many different things. If you are always getting them out of trouble they will never learn to handle their own problems. Letting them fail will not kill them but will teach them to be better judges about what they do. NO is not a dirty word. It will bring about positive results. STAND UP AND BE A PARENT. Mandi's mom (Gay)

Anonymous said...

Dr. David Jeremiah has said, "Parents take too much blame and too much credit for how their kids turn out."

Another person I heard one time said that we cannot tell how well we've done raising our children until they have rasied their children. That is a good thought as it points to how well our children passed on to their children the faith.

As I have observed our pastor and his family I believe he and his precious wife are well on their way to seeing the fruit of their efforts in their grandchilren. In my estimation we all need to make sure we do the best we can... pray... and trust God for the rest.

Thank you pastor for your ministry of encouragement!