Friday, July 14, 2006

May the Name of the Lord Be Praised

I want to express my sincerest thanks and appreciation to the entire CrossPoint family for caring for mother during this time of loss. You proved to me once again why CrossPoint is such a great family of faith. I believe we may have the sweetest spirit of any church in the kingdom. Thanks, CrossPoint. You make me proud.

My mother is such an incredible woman. She reminds me of her mother and father in so many ways, the greatest reminder is in the way she expresses her faith.

My mother’s faith is not an on-again, off-again kind of belief. She’s not the kind to trust God when times are tough and then go off to do her own thing when times are good. My mom has always been a woman of consistent faith. She’s always been a woman who trusted God no matter the circumstances.

A mighty example of mom’s faith would be what she did on the night Papa Rick went home to be with the Lord. Those who received the news gathered at the hospital to comfort mom. After an extended time of crying and weeping, mom quieted us in order to recite this biblical promise. She said with great confidence,

"The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."


What a mother; more importantly, what a God who has taught my mother to trust Him in all things so that His name is always praised.

The grief over Papa Rick’s death has finally hit me. I guess I was acting as son and pastor so much to my mother, that I suppressed the heartache. Today, the heartache is very real and extremely close. However, as I said yesterday at the funeral, my grief is not without hope. Every time the clouds of despair start crowding in, I turn to the same promise my mother quoted last Sunday night and I try to say with the same confidence, “The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”

2 comments:

MrsC said...

God bless you and your family in this time. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

This was truly one of the sweetest services I have ever attended. It was the first family member of a Pastor that I knew as well. It shows us all how to handle a death. Laugh, clap, cry and be joyful of God's love and his promises for all of us who trust him. We all do know that we will see Rick again in heaven and I know he is joyful being with the LORD. We will all miss him and his hawaiian shirts and his smile and seeing Rick and Alice together but they will be together again.Thanks Alice for showing us how to trust in God even when it is so hard for us. We love you all very much!