Monday, July 17, 2006

Call Me Naïve

When I entered the ministry, I did not realize the assignment of conducting funerals, weddings and baptisms for my family would sometimes be my responsibility. I knew that as a pastor I would be serving others, but it never once crossed my mind that I would be called on in that regard for my family. I assumed their pastor would do the serving. Little did I know I would become their pastor? Call me naïve.

The call to serve as pastor to my family came again last week when my step-father, Papa Rick went home to be with the Lord. The strange irony of conducting his “homegoing” service was that less than 24 hours later my niece, Manda, asked if I would lead in her wedding celebration sometime in 2007. Of course I said yes.

The circle or cycle of life is strange, isn’t it? One day my family was planning a funeral, the next we were planning a wedding. That is another way God revealed His eternal hope to us during our time of mourning.

Once again, thank you for ministering to my family during this time of sorrow and grief that is always grounded in the hope of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

MrsC said...

In our family we have had many ups and downs. Life, death, baptisms, weddings... It is a strange circle of ceremonies that we go through. I am thankful that I have my church family to help support me when I need some help or when I need someone to praise with me. You are such a huge part of why we are at Crosspoint. Thanks for the part you play in all of the circle of life.