Sunday, June 18, 2006

It’s Official—I am Worth More Dead than Alive!

It is official. I am now worth more to CrossPoint dead than I am alive.

The bank requested a “Key Leader” life insurance policy on me so that we can secure our construction loan. Some security: Ryan dies and the church pays off the debt!

Last Wednesday I completed the paperwork, two days later a nurse shows up at my office to give me a quasi-physical. Before you get any crazy pictures in your head, the nurse was my mother’s age and her husband accompanied her.

It was an exhilarating experience, to say the least. Here’s the good part: during the final test, an EKG, the nurse accuses me of not relaxing.

Not relaxing! Who was she kidding!

I signed my life away on a multi-million dollar life insurance policy. I was requested to pee in a cup. I weighed 15 pounds more than I predicted. I gave two vials of blood. I answered one hundred questions about my medical history. My blood pressure was checked twice for accuracy. Now I am sitting half-naked in my church office with 10 electrode devices attached my upper torso and chest, and the nurse has the audacity to tell me to relax!

Humbling? No way! More like humiliating! Yet for CrossPoint’s sake it is worth it.

So, if I die anytime between now and 2016, please call CSI: Miami to investigate my death. Steve Parr tells me the Stewardship Team wants to treat me to lunch soon after the policy is in tact.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing the bank didn't know that we are all ministers. The bank has no idea that you have a great church who could carry on with out you but wouldn't want to. To be on the safe side, beware of the finance committee offering you food if the budget ever goes south. Gay Jones

Brent said...

That's awesome. I needed that laugh, thanks.

Anonymous said...

well, "rest" or in your case relax assured you're following scripture. In this case it would be as the pastor not so much as the husband.."as Christ loved the church and gave His life for it"! Lets all pray that Ryan gets to enjoy it here in the best seat in the house!
Thanks for 'all' you do!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that mental picture! I sure hope you got your lunch!!

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I would skip all lunches with Steve Parr for awhile! Ha Ha Just joking. You are too well loved to have harm come to you. We will all just have to continue to bite the bullet and pay the debt.