Wednesday, January 16, 2008

This Can’t be What It’s all Cracked up to Be

Tom Brady is the quarterback of the New England Patriots. His team is currently on a 16-0 winning streak, with the possibility of going 19-0 if they win the Super Bowl. Brady was recently interviewed by Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes.

The interview took a serious twist when Brady made this vulnearable comment:

"Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, 'Hey man, this is what is.' I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think, 'God, it's got to be more than this.' I mean this isn't, this can't be what it's all cracked up to be."

When the Kroft asked him, "What's the answer?"

Brady responded, "I wish I knew. I wish I knew. I love playing football and I love being quarterback for this team. But at the same time, I think there are a lot of other parts about me that I'm trying to find."

Wow! This guy has it all—according to the world’s standards. He dates actresses. He makes big money. He owns three super bowl rings. Again, by what the world says, this guy is the epitome of success, and he still says, “This can’t be what it’s all cracked up to be.” Even though Brady is surrounded by all the accouterments of success, it is apparent his life is empty.

If you had 60 minutes with Brady, what would you say to him?

First I would commend Brady for his honesty. I appreciate his transparency. Brady is more forthright than most people in his shoes. I would encourage Brady to remain open. His openness will lead to his answers.

Next, I would let Brady know that God has the answers to his questions in the Bible. For starters, the Bible has something to say about this thirst in Brady’s heart. This emptiness in his heart is there for a reason—it’s a desire God placed there. The Bible says,

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

The Bible is clear; every human has a God-given desire for eternity in his heart. Yet man’s biggest problem is that he cannot quench that desire on his own. God must fill that void.

Obviously, I would communicate with the All-Pro Quarterback everything Jesus says about life, death and eternal life. I would begin with these truths:

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
John 10:10

“For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."
Luke 19:10

“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Mark 10:45

"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
John 14:1-7


Then, I would inform Brady that a heart filled with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the answer. The thirst in everyone’s heart is a thirst for meaning and significance. Super Bowl rings, dates with super models, endless wealth and everything else the world says we need is not the answer. The answer to life’s quest is a life filled with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

The Apostle Paul said,

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:12-14

Finally, I would inform Tom that he is not much different from anyone else. Sure, Brady is mega-wealthy and extremeley famous, yet his struggles are the same as everyone else’s. Brady’s answer is found in God’s Word. And God’s Word will tell Brady that someone who has faith in the Lord Jesus Christ finds meaning and purpose in life. That is when I will give Tom the opportunity to repent of his life of sin and place his full confidence in the Lord Jesus Christ. Until then, Tom will continue to say, “This can’t be what it’s all cracked up to be.”

No comments: