Wednesday, January 02, 2008

OK, Beijing Is Awesome!

I think we have finally adjusted to the time change for the other side of the world. We went to bed last night (Tuesday) at 7:30 and woke only once around 1:00 AM and then slept a little longer until 5:00 AM. That is a good night’s sleep.

We spent the day at Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City and Summer Palace. All three experiences were just too much to handle in one day. The history behind each location is so comprehensive. Tiananmen Square is a great symbol of communism. I will write more on that later. The Summer Palace puts Biltmore in the ground. The Forbidden City is 600 years old and looks like it was constructed last year.

We should be sending photos in a day or two. Believe it or not, Internet connection in Beijing is not too swift, plus it is expensive to access from our hotel. Taylor and I are looking for an Internet Café each time we venture out.

By the way, my kids are treated like rock stars around here. At Tiananmen Square a family approached us to have their photo made with us. Of course, we had our photo made with them.

Okay, it’s time now for a few insights:
  • Who is telling all these people about Jesus?
  • Always take an extra potty break before you leave your hotel.
  • I find it humorous that it takes the sun so long to rise here in the East. Ha!
  • Seriously, the sun does not rise in Beijing until 7:30 or later.
  • If you grew up in Beijing you would be used to the restroom facilities.
  • Chinese children are precious.
  • Be sure to carry toilet paper with you, wherever you go.
  • Who is telling these people about Jesus?
  • Who is responsible for telling these people about Jesus?
  • Who has accepted responsibility for telling these people about Jesus?
There is so much more I could write. I must stop for now. We are heading out to eat, and then we go to a martial arts show at 7:30 PM.

Below, you'll find a few pictures of our journey so far.

Grace always.

29 hours later, we arrive in Hong Kong

the chapel where Taylor preached last Sunday. See if you can spot my 3 blondes.

Whitleys at Victoria Harbor on New Year's Eve

4 comments:

JenB said...

Wow! Sounds like you are having a great time! Thanks for including the pictures! Keeping you in my prayers...PREACH ON WHITLEY'S!!!!
Prayers and Love from the Barrett's

Brian said...

You guys are unreal!! What an experience! I hope you are having lots of fun. We will pray for you all, and please pray for us, too. We will have our new baby boy Monday Jan 7, 1230 pm. (God willing) We love you guys. Tell Taylor to bring back something Chinese.

Love,
The Updike Family

VickieJerkins said...

Ryan –

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 (And I, when I came to you brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.) Has been my favorite sermon to date and maybe of all time. Maybe in some way, you are our very own “Paul”. I truly hope it has the same impact on Josh and others .. as it had on me not so long ago.

We know you are each doing amazing work while away … but please come home safe and soon - - we miss our shepherd! Keeping you and the family very much in our thoughts and prayers.

Vickie & Family

Anonymous said...

Bryan and all, I love your stories and adventures. I thought it to be interesting that in the chapel picture I see primarily women. I am anxious to hear more about this.
Love you all,
Hans