Tuesday, December 18, 2007

More about God’s Glory

I concluded yesterday’s by wrestling with why I am preaching God’s glory for all of 2008.

The short answer is I firmly believe this is where God wants to take CrossPoint in the coming year.

Can the people of God ever know enough about God? Can the people of God ever know enough about the glory of God? I don’t think so.

I like what A. W. Tozer says about knowing God, in The Knowledge of the Holy:
"It is impossible to keep our moral practices sound and our inward attitudes right while our idea of God is erroneous and inadequate. If we would bring back spiritual power to our lives, we must begin to think of God more nearly as He is. ...What comes to mind when we think of God is the most important thing about us."
One of my pastor friends interprets the Tozer quote this way: The most important thing about you is your concept of God. Your concept of God determines everything about you.

I agree with Tozer as well as with my pastor friend.

It is my desire in 2008 to talk about God and His glory and nothing else. During the year we will refer to several basic Scripture passages. We will quote Romans 11:35 each week, which reads,
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
Get that passage memorized. We will refer to it often.

Another passage we will refer to in the year will be 1 Corinthians 10:31. Paul teaches,
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Our goal is simple: we want to know God better by knowing more about God’s glory. I want us to see God’s glory, to enjoy God’s glory, to know God’s glory, to live for God’s glory, and to share God’s glory. In doing this, I am convinced we will definitely learn to live for God’s glory.

Centuries ago the Puritan preachers would say to their people, “If you pray me full, I will preach you full.” This is my request as well as we seek to learn more about God’s glory.

God alone be the glory!

No comments: