Thursday, December 27, 2007

Birmingham Past

Although I was born in Jefferson City, Tennessee, I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama. My family moved to the Iron City in June of 1970. My extended family has lived here ever since. So when my dad sent me the following website link, I reflected on parts of Birmingham I remember.

For those of you interested in the Birmingham of yesterday, click here.

For those who have lived here for more than a few years, I would be curious to know what part of the webpage you remembered most.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah..the Eastwood Mall. There was a piano store in the mall back in the early, early 80's. That's where I took my very first piano lesson. I still remember (and can play) the first song I learned. It was called "Love Somebody". This website does give a sense of nostalgia for sure!!

fason is a dork. said...

Kelly's Hamburgers and Mrs. Pac-Man and Tron video games!

Also, I don't see it on the site, but I remember walking from my grandmother's house on 4th Ave. to the Egg-A-Day to buy little balsa wood and rubber band air planes.

Anonymous said...

Since I have lived here all of my life except for 9 years in Atlanta as an Adult, I remember most all of these places and things. It was a simplier life and my favorite place to eat when I worked downtown was Dale's Cellar. It was great. Our favorite all time place was El Charro's. They placed our order for us as we walked in the door. It closed in 1996 and we still long for that place. I remember as a child my parents taking us downtown to see the Christmas displays at Lovemans. We also bought our shoes there as children. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

Yielding's had some "hot fashion" during my teenage years. I did not see Cinema City Eight which was right beside Pizitz and where I remember seeing Close Encounters, Star Wars, and E.T. Those were the days!!!