Friday, September 14, 2007

But If I Cannot Win, Let Me Be Brave in the Attempt

I attended the Special Olympics this morning at the Hewitt Trussville High School football stadium. Thankfully I arrived in time for the opening ceremony, which included a parade of athletes from many area-wide schools. The motto for the Special Olympics says, “Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”

I witnessed a lot of winning today. I also observed much bravery. Every competitor in the games was a winner, and every competitor displayed moxie.

One fellow really impressed me in the 50 yard dash. He won the race by at least 30 yards and then he kept running past the finish line. Steve Parr, Officer Mac and I were cheering for him as he continued around the track. Steve commented, “Now that is my kind of runner.” A high school student had to run full speed to stop him. The young special needs runner turned a 50 yard race into a 200 yard dash. Now that’s competitive!

CrossPoint is an annual sponsor of this event, as well as many other events for the special needs students of the Hewitt Trussville School system. We have many CrossPoint children in the special needs class. The class also includes some CrossPoint teachers, leaders, and volunteers.

While leaving the stadium a mother of a special needs child approached me and asked if I was the pastor of CrossPoint. After introducing herself, she told me how much she appreciated our monthly respite care offered to the families of special needs students. She bragged about how much her daughter enjoyed the day. The mother uses our Respite Care in order to attend a monthly Down Syndrome Small Group. She said, “I invite other families every month to use this special ministry. I tell them how trustworthy your ministry is, and that their children will enjoy it.”

While listening to this mother’s unsolicited testimony, I could not help but give thanks for CrossPoint’s ministry to the families of special needs children. I also expressed gratitude in my mind to the Lord for the Special Olympics. We should be thankful for the opportunity to serve these families. To learn more about CrossPoint’s Respite Care ministry you may contact Mandi Logan at mandi.logan@trussvillecityschools.com. Mandi will be glad to hear from you.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I had the privilage of volunteering at the Special Olympics this past week and was very touched by all of the wonderful children. They all are truly God's Angels!

I also must commend Mandi for the work that she does with TCS and with CrossPoint. She has a love in her heart for special needs children that just seems to overflow. She is a very special person that I am proud to call my friend.