Tuesday, August 14, 2007

JUST ONE MORE Illustrated

One of my heroes of the faith is Scott Hanberry, pastor of NorthStar Church in Couer d’ Alene, Idaho. Click here to learn more about NorthStar.

Many of you will remember Scott from last June when he was a guest speaker during WOW while I was away on the Construction Mission Trip in Pilot Knob, Kentucky. So many of you told me how good a job he did that night, I have invited him back to CrossPoint to be our guest as our World Missions Offering speaker on December 2.

I admire Scott for many reasons. Scott is a godly man. He is also a family man. My highest admiration for him, however, is that Scott is a risk-taker for the kingdom of God. It requires great faith for Scott to do what he is doing. Yet he knows that the greater the risk, the greater the reward.

I received an email from Scott on Monday. The email contained a word of encouragement for his people in Coure d’Alene. The story he related to their work caused me to think of CrossPoint’s vision of JUST ONE MORE. Read what he sent provided below, and then you tell me if this is not another way of expressing the power and simplicity of CrossPoint’s vision.

A question heard often by pastors in America is: “How big is your church?” The answer most pastors want to give is “bigger than yours!” An appropriate answer would be “big enough to keep me busy 24/7!”

Truthfully, most pastors and church leaders are quick to state the most recent and largest worship attendance figure in memory. Does this honor God?

In a recent conversation, I was told that there are only two attendance figures which really count…..Sunday school and baptism. The wisdom is clear but a third category is gaining momentum in my mind. The third and possibly only attendance category that really matters for all of eternity is found in the following.

Question: “How many did you have last Sunday?”

Answer: “TWO! That’s how many guests I brought with me.”

The only attendance figure that the Lord cares about is the number YOU and I brought to Him last week! How would it change the Christian culture in America today if we only reported our guests and if an individual only stated the number of guests that he brought?

“THERE WILL BE MORE JOY IN HEAVEN OVER ONE SINNER WHO REPENTS THAN OVER NINETY-NINE RIGHTEOUS PERSONS WHO NEED NO REPENTENCE.”

Luke 15:7

Okay, so what do you think? Do you think that story illustrates the vision of CrossPoint? I do. So, tell me, who are you bringing with you to worship next weekend? Imagine what would happen if each CrossPoint decided to bring JUST ONE MORE to worship.

2 comments:

mandi said...

Preachy-
Our little ones really get this concept more than some of the adults (myself included). Stone had to make a family crest for kindergarten and it had to include items/pictures that would tell his friends more about him. So I asked him what were some things that he enjoyed and would want people to know about him. After he said he wanted a picture of Disney World (first things first), he went to the refrigerator and pulled off the red Crosspoint magnet and wanted me to cut out the word Crosspoint to put on the crest. I did. When we practiced what he would say about each item, he held up his finger for the number one. It took me by suprise, so when I asked him what that meant, he said ..."mommy, you don't know about just one more?..you are supposed to bring friends to worship Jesus and hear the rockin' music." (if you know Stone- these were his exact words with a country twang). Boy did I look like a dummy! His teacher is a friend, so I am going to ask her what he said to the class. I credit Michelle Murphy and her mom, his Sunday school teachers for the last year for that one. Unfortunately, I don't think I talk about just one more as much as I should at home.

Anonymous said...

The power of our vision is just that--even a five year old can understand it and put it into practice.

Wow, thanks for sharing that story with us.