Monday, June 25, 2007

A Weekend with My Father

A few months ago my brothers, Chuck and Rhett, started working with me to put together a father/son weekend with my father, Bob. Many of you know all these three of these men. For those who do know them, I promise to start praying for you. For those of you who do not know them, you are blessed. (There goes my commitment to stop chiding others! I can’t help it. I spent the weekend with the king of chiders.)

Seriously, sixty days ago we started planning this trip with my Dad. We tried to make the trip in early May, but our plans fell through due to our busy schedules. Then we settled on June 21 – 23, we stuck to it, and I am so glad we did.

We left Birmingham very early Thursday morning and made our way to Highlands, North Carolina. Part of our trip included checking out a new cabin my oldest brother and his family are building in the area.

Although our trip was quick, it was full of activity. More than activity, I think the best part of the outing included our conversation. Actually, that’s all we did was talk, mixed in with some sightseeing.

The highlight of the excursion was when my oldest brother put my father in his place much like my father used to do with us when we were kids. Dad was complaining about something not being right and Chuck said, “You go in there and sit down on that sofa and do not speak until you are spoken to you. Do you hear me?” Rhett and I lost it. It was too much to handle, because it sounded just like my father from times past.

Another, more serious interaction, included how the four of us talked about our walk with Christ. All four of us are committed to four different kingdom enterprises in Birmingham. Dad is a member of Valleydale. Chuck and his family are members at Shades Mountain. Rhett and his clan are committed to Shades Crest. And I have made a lifelong commitment to CrossPoint.

As a pastor, I was particularly encouraged to hear of their commitment to tithing. We spent the better part of one afternoon talking the mission of each church and how each man supports his pastor. I admitted to them my struggle with CrossPoint’s pastor and how he and I rarely got along or could ever see eye to eye. They got a real kick out of that!

Chuck’s cabin builder commented to us how much he wished he could make a trip like that with his father and brothers. He told us how lucky we were to be able to share this moment. Then he added, “I can’t do that now that my father is dead.” I am so glad I heard Gary make that comment. Even though I realized the purpose of our trip, his comment gave our expedition more meaning.

We enjoyed another highlight on our way home Saturday. While driving through Atlanta, Dad commented how neat it would be to find the old house we lived in when I was born. Two minutes later we took an exit to Decatur[Georgia] and we were on the way to find the house. My sister got involved with the adventure when we called her for possible directions. After thirty minutes of driving in circles we almost gave up. Then we reminded each other that we were not are quitters. After renewing our resolve, my phone rang from Indiana, and it was my sister. Her daughter, Dallas, Googled directions for us and we were two blocks away from the house.

It was fun seeing the old place. It was even better listening to my dad talk about memories we shared. I do not remember living there, but I felt an immediate affinity with the place listening to their comments.

From that part of the trip we discussed the different places we lived. Once again, it was good to hear Dad share his memories. By the time we arrived in Birmingham, we were all thankful for the way the Lord made Birmingham home for our family.

In the last few years I have made a concentrated effort to slow down, laugh and enjoy moments like these. I have to admit it did not matter where we went as three sons and a father the best part was that we were together.

If your father or mother and brothers or sisters are still alive, and able, I suggest you make plans to spend a quick weekend together. Even though I was exhausted from all the driving and sightseeing, the fellowship with my father and brothers was energizing.

The next time the three of us take a special get-a-way with dad it will include his grandsons. Now that will be a trip worth writing about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed! Indeed... you are blessed!

Ron

Anonymous said...

My family has done "sister weekends" for years. They also included our mother, daughters and daughters-in-law until Mama had her stroke, and can no longer go with us. We've had some interesting times--like 10 women (four dressed unintentionally in the same dress)piling out of an Expedition for dinner at the Grove Park Inn. Emma Davis used to always say she envied me my sisters. I'm glad the men of your family are starting a similar tradition.

Anonymous said...

Ron you know all four of us, so you know what kind of weekend we shared.

Anonymous, I just dropped a note in the mail to my father stating how excited I am about our next excursion.

I am blessed.