Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Praying Fervently

What can take the place of prayer? Can anything take the place of prayer? Is there anything more important than prayer? If something is greater than the work of prayer, then what is it?

I am convinced that nothing—not ministry, not worship, not fellowship, not discipleship, not even evangelism—can take the place of prayer.

Jesus said,

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
John 14:12-14

And what is the “greater work” to which Jesus is referring? Is it ability to heal the sick? Is it power to raise the dead? Is it walking on water? I believe prayer is the “greater work”. If prayer is not the “greater work” then why does Jesus address the subject of prayer in the next sentence after mentioning the “greater work”?

I believe prayer is the “great work” to which Jesus is referring for two other reasons.

The first reason I believe prayer is the “greater work” is based on what Jesus said at the end of His first statement. Jesus said, “Because I am going to the Father.” Jesus “going to the Father” is the culmination of His redemptive work. After His death, burial and resurrection, Jesus ascended back to heaven where He returned to His place of authority and glory. He did so because He completed the assignment His Father had given Him. As a result He finalized the plan and process of salvation. Completing the redemptive plan authorized Jesus the right to do the greater work through His people.

The second reason I believe prayer is the “greater work” is due to a simple phrase Jesus repeats twice. In the first instance Jesus says, “Whatever you ask in my name, THIS WILL I DO, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” Again, in the next sentence, Jesus says, “If you ask me anything in my name, I WILL DO IT” (emphasis added). Thus, Jesus emphasizes that prayer is something HE answers. Jesus responds to prayer. Note He does not say, “It will be done”, which is void of personal involvement. Instead, Jesus says, “this will I do” and “I will do it”, which corresponds to His direct involvement.

The more I devote myself to prayer, fervent prayer, the more I realize prayer is the greater work. And so, that is why I say nothing can take the place of prayer. Prayer is the birthplace of ministry. Prayer is the fuel for worship. Prayer is the key discipleship. Prayer is the impetus for evangelism. It is in prayer the battle is either won or lost.

The more I devote myself to prayer the more I desire to pray. Or, to state it another way, the more passionately I pray the more passion I have to pray. Prayer is the greater work, I am convinced. It is also the fuel that ignites the greater work.

As many of you know, I recently asked the staff of CrossPoint to join me in a prayer adventure. The prayer adventure includes praying for each member of CrossPoint by name. I gave the staff a church roll through which they were instructed to pray. When we pray, we mention you specifically by name. When we pray, we pray for God’s will in your life. When we pray, we wait on the Holy Spirit to tell us how to pray for you.

At first I asked the staff to pray through the list once a week. After six weeks of taking the prayer challenge, I realize it now takes me on average three weeks to pray for every family of our family of faith by name. Praying for you is the greater work, and it is also the most difficult work.

The adventure in praying for you became difficult last week. Because of the burden that comes from prayer I decided to take a day or two off in order to relieve some of the load the Lord placed on my heart. I must be honest with you, praying for you is taxing. I have learned the more I pray for someone, the more I desire God’s best for them. And sometimes I am more concerned for the person I praying for than they seem to be for themselves. That is when praying for someone gets complicated.

Praying for other people does something else to you: it increases your sensitivity to the working of the Holy Spirit. My spiritual intuition escalates the more I pray. In recent days I have noted a stronger tendency to look for the Holy Spirit working around me. Prayer is connecting with God’s Holy Spirit.

Prayer is an amazing adventure. At times prayer can be spiritually empowering; at other times it can be emotionally fatiguing. And so, that is why I say nothing can take the place of prayer.

When was the last time you prayed, prayed fervently?

No comments: