Monday, June 18, 2007

Giving, Praying & Fasting

I firmly believe the Lord Jesus wants CrossPoint to be a giving, praying and fasting church. The more I study the Sermon on the Mount, the more convinced I am that giving, praying and fasting are three disciplines every Christ follower must continue practice.

Speaking of praying, I returned to the Puritan prayer I read for you at the close of my message yesterday morning. I provide this profound prayer for you to use in your daily time alone with the Lord this week:

The Valley of Vision

Lord, high and holy, meek and lowly, Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision, where I live in the depths but see Thee in the heights; hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold Thy glory. Let me learn by paradox that the way down is the way up, that to be low is to be high, that the broken heart is the healed heart, that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit, that the repenting soul is the victorious soul, that to have nothing is to possess all, that to bear the cross is to wear the crown, that to give is to receive, that the valley is the place of vision. Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells, and the deeper the wells the brighter Thy stars shine; let me find Thy light in my darkness, Thy life in my death, Thy joy in my sorrow, Thy grace in my sin, Thy riches in my poverty, Thy glory in my valley.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Thank you so much for putting this prayer on the Blog! The moment I heard it I wanted a copy of it because of how it moved me. Now I can share it and use it in my own prayer time! I wish you knew how much you are appreciated!! I am fairly new to this congregation, but feel overwhelming blessed to be under the teaching of a Pastor who is so obviously in love with the Lord and passionate about bringing His Word. Continue stepping on our toes and keeping us accountable!
With love and appreciation~Lisa Blakesley

Anonymous said...

I still remember the first fast we went through together. It was one of the most significant times in my life. I have never felt closer to God in the midst of spiritual war as I did those 40 days. As we both said back then, I want to live in that state every day... not just during a fast.

It seems that you too still have the lasting effects of those days with The Lord. I will be praying for you and those you shepherd that you all will abide, live, dwell in constant closeness to God.

I count you a dear friend in Christ and know you to be a visionary for the expanding of God's Kingdom. Bless you!

Ron