Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Three Mothers

I enjoyed Mother’s Day with three of my favorite mothers—my wife, my mother and my mother-in-law. We cooked out burgers and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon visiting on my screen porch.

All three women are so much the same, and yet in other ways they are quite different. While watching these three beautiful women interact with my children yesterday I identified some common traits they each share. I also identified a distinct trait that separates one from the other.

Love, kindness, compassion, and affection are just a few of the specific traits these special mothers have in common. They also share a common devotion to the Lord. I can personally say each mother is a woman of great faith. And, without question, each mother is truly devoted to my children.

The trait I admire most in my wife, Vonda, is that she is INVOLVED. Vonda is totally engaged in the world of my children. She knows their every need, fear, and dreams. She also knows much about their friends, which is critically important to guiding your children in the ways of the Lord. When my children need something they go to their mother first, because they know she can or will try to meet that need even if it means sacrificing her own wants first.

The trait I admire most in my mother-in-law, Doris, is that she is a GIVER. Nana lives so sacrificially for my family and so many others. She willingly gives so much to my family. Every time we visit with Nana she is either bringing something to our house she thinks we need or she is giving us something she wants us to enjoy. I often pray for the same kind of generous spirit she possesses.

The trait I admire most in my mother, Alice, is that she is an ENCOURGAGER. My mother definitely possesses the gift of encouragement. I can go to her with a heavy burden, and in just a few minutes she’s given me a new perspective for the load. She has always been that way. And when I am down or struggling with a decision, I know I can go to my mother for the encouragement and support I need.

I am a blessed man to have these three loving mothers in my life. They set a good example for other women to follow. They set a good example for me to follow.

I am curious, what one trait do you most admire about your mother. I would enjoy reading your comments.

7 comments:

mandi said...

I have a hard time putting that in to one word. I wrote about her at length on my blog- you can read that if your interested. However, if I had to choose one word for her it would be SERVING. She is a servant with a huge servant's heart. She is always willing to help anyone with anything. Whenever we needed her she was not only there, but there with a purpose. She serves even when you have given her every reason not to. She is so wonderful and that doesn't do her justice but she's mine and I'm so blessed to have her!

Anonymous said...

The word I am thinking about for my mom is DEPENDABLE (I also like what Mandi stated, SERVING).

I can never remember a time when my mom has not available for me. She's continued to support me through my various stages of life from childhood to adulthood.

I praise God for her commitment to her family and to the Lord!

Matt

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is hard to narrow your mother's life down to one word. I guess I should have suggested the ONE predominant word.

Mandi, I need your blog address. Please tell us what it is.

gay said...

My mom will be 87 this week and she is still very CARING about us and others. Even though her mind and body won't let her do much in the area of caring, she tries. We know she cares by the question she ask about everyone and then she will say she wished she could do something for that person. I assure her that they know that she is not able any more but she still cares.

Anonymous said...

Mandi's blog is http://theloganloop.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I no longer have my Mom with me here on earth in person. She went to her permanant home June 30, 2006. However, she left with us a descriptive word of her life and a challenge for her children and grandchildren. That word is Christian.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Ron, amen! I agree, especially since I got to know your mother through the years. Your mother was proud of you and your siblings. And so she should be.