Monday, May 07, 2007

Theology of Sex

After worship yesterday morning I had a few parents ask me for a copy of the Theology of Sex lessons I presented n my message, so I thought I would provide them for you in today’s blog.

Lesson #1: Sex is not your idea; it is God’s idea. Sex is God’s gift to man (Genesis 2:24-25).

Lesson #2: The purpose of sex is basically two-fold. One, sex is designed for the pro-creation of mankind (Genesis 1:26-29). Two, sex is designed to meet the intimacy needs shared between a husband and a wife (1 Corinthians 7:1-3).

Lesson #3: Sex is meant to be experienced, appreciated and enjoyed within the commitment of marriage between one man and one woman. When people step out of God’s divine plan for sexual satisfaction troubles become rampant and problems get out of control (! Corinthians 5:1-2).

Lesson #4: Having a sex drive is good. Your sex drive is from God. Having a sex drive does not make you a sinful person (1 Corinthians 7:8-9).

Lesson #5: Sexual thoughts are not bad. A sexual thought is normal. It means that you are alive. It is when sexual thoughts become perverted beyond the moral boundaries God established that makes them sinful (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8).

Lesson #6: God’s standard for enjoying your sexuality is simple—purity before marriage and fidelity in marriage. Do you want a good sex life? Do you want to enjoy sex in a way you have never experienced it before? Then you remain pure before you marry, remain faithful to your spouse after you marry and you will enjoy sex the way God designed it (Hebrews 13:4; Matthew 5:31).

At the conclusion of the third worship Dr. Mark Isley provided me of some disquieting statistics he used in his Bible study class that morning. His class is working through Dr. Kevin Lehman’s book, Running the Rapids: Guiding Teenagers through Turbulent Waters of Adolescence. For those of you who do not know, Mark is a high school principal in the Shelby County school system.

With regard to sexual promiscuity:
  • 50% of all high school students have participated in sexual intercourse.
  • 60% of all seniors in high school have participated in sexual intercourse. (Mark commented, “I believe that this number is actually too low. My guess is that 80% of high school seniors have participated in sexual intercourse.”)
  • By the age of 20, 80% of the student population has participated in sexual intercourse.

With regard to drug use:

  • By the tenth grade, 50% of the student population has attempted to smoke marijuana.
  • By the 11th grade, 70% of students have attempted or are smoking cigarettes.
  • By the 9th grade, 70% of students have tasted alcohol.
  • By the 12th grade, 90% of students have tasted alcohol. Also, by the 12th grade, 50% of all seniors drink alcohol on a regular basis.

Parents the pressure is on, and it is required of us to proactively insulate our children from the troubling trends. If you have not already started discussing sex and drugs with your children, get busy doing so today. Who do you want teaching your kids about sex and drugs—their friends, MTV, the public school system or you?

3 comments:

mandi said...

Ryan-
I also work in a school system and have had the pleasure of attending some events with middle schoolers. I have heard 7th graders discuss virginity, oral sex and other promiscuous things. This is alarming to think that our babies even now what these words mean at that age! Ok- reality check for all you people who are as "Pollyana as I am"! We have got to start early- because whether you believe it or not our kids are hearing it. Saying that they are not does not make it so.
Thank you for your message yesterday- it was very necessary!

Anonymous said...

Mandi, I knew I had to face the reality of teaching my kids about the proper boundaries of sex when my son was in the third grade. Even at that time I felt like I may have been too late. He and I progressed in our "talks" for several years. Then, on his 13th birthday we went on a camping trip which I will always remember. It was on that trip I gave him a gift I wanted him to give his wife on their wedding night as a symbol of his purity in Christ. I agree, we must be open and honest with our children about sex, drugs and everything else they will face...and the sooner the better.

Anonymous said...

It starts in the home. It is what you let your children watch, what you let them wear, who you let them run around with, where you let them go. I know it is hard to rear children now, but parents have to be parents. If you let your child go to church dressed like a street walker, what do they wear on dates and we wonder why the morality of this age is questioned. Just ask Mandi how strict we were as parents but yet she was very popular. Most parents think there kids won't be popular if they don't do certain things. I know my kids did the normal things like sneak out at night, etc. but we also had talks about serious subjects. Sorry I wasn't there to hear it. I will have to get a copy. Off my soap box. Gay