Thursday, May 10, 2007

Does God Exist?

How many of you watched the Nightline Face Off last night between the atheists and Christians? I usually do not stay up that late, but since I arrived home after the news I decided to remain awake long enough to watch it.

For those of you who did not see it, you can click here to watch Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort, who represented Christianity, debate two atheists, Brian “Sapient” and a woman who goes by the name Kelly.

Cameron and Comfort are the leaders of evangelistic/apologist ministry called The Way of the Master. Perhaps you have seen some of their broadcasts on cable television where they witness to people on the streets. Brian “Sapient” and Kelly are the leaders of the atheistic organization The Rational Response Squad.

I have been reading about The Rationale Response Squad over the last year or so. A pastor friend introduced me to their website, www.blasphemychallenge.com.

WARNING: IT IS A WICKED SIGHT AND SOME OF THE WORDS YOU WILL SEE AND HEAR WILL BE OFFENSIVE TO YOU. I have hesitated placing this site on my blog due to its profane content. I advise you take a deep breath before you view their webpage. It will send chills down your spine to watch many teens and young adults literally blaspheme the Holy Spirit on the web. It is a sad, sad site. And it is a pitiful commentary on the day in which we live.

I have a few observations from the debate.

First, I was surprised that a debate about the existence of God was narrowed down to a two-part, highly edited, fifteen minute television segment. Perhaps they will show more of the debate in the weeks to come. Although I do not have any justification for believing that by the way the broadcast ended.

A fifteen minute video segment arguing the existence of God really should not surprise me, however. We live in an age of instantaneous information. If God cannot be discussed in 15 minutes or less, then there is no need to argue His existence.

Second, Brian “Sapient” and Kelly were noticeably frustrated with Cameron and Comfort. Some of the atheists in the crowd appeared to be equally irritated. At times it was if the atheist were trying to convert the crowd to atheism, and if memory serves me correctly, the Nightline interviewer Martin Basher implied the same for both sides of the debate. Why would an atheist be troubled by someone’s belief in God? What does it matter to them whether or not I acknowledge God? If God does not exist, those who believe in Him should not be of a great concern.

Third, I thought it was interesting the contest was held at Calvary Baptist Church in midtown Manhattan. I thought debates were supposed to be hosted at a neutral site. I think this gave the Christians a decided advantage. Additionally, the site selection caused me to ask where you would hold a debate that would give atheists an advantage. I guess a public university would be a suitable site for a pro-atheistic agenda.

Next, I was grief-stricken for the atheists. Nothing they said surprised me. The argument between atheists and Christians is as old as Christianity. And, the debate will continue. However, my heart ached for Brian “Sapient” and Kelly. Their appearance was that of rebellion. To be candid, they were angry and so were many of the atheists in the crowd. And, to put it more bluntly, it was obvious God had handed them over to a debased mind.

I think both Brian and Kelly should be troubled today. There is no estimating how many God-fearing followers of Christ are praying for those two today. Now would that not be amazing if one or both of them repented of their sin today and received Christ because of the work of the Holy Spirit.

You will note that I have placed Brian’s last name is in quotes. Although they do not put the quotes around his name on the webpage, they did place the quotes around his last name on the television screen last night. Apparently this is not his actual name. And why did the woman go by the name Kelly. Again, take note of the deception associated with the atheists.

The word “sapient” is a synonym for the word wise. Brian and Kelly appeared to be anything but wise last night. Again, their outward aggravation with Cameron and Comfort validated their imprudence. And some of their responses were not historically accurate, which gave credence to more of their illusory ways.

Finally, and most importantly, if you listen closely to the debate you will hear “Sapient” acknowledge the existence of God in the middle of a confrontation. As many pagans are prone to do, in a sentence of exasperation “Sapient” exclaimed, “Oh my God!” Does that not prove the existence of God? If God does not exists then why would you not say, “Oh my nothing!”? Instead, “Sapient” admitted there is a God by calling on his name in the debate.

I would be curious to hear your response to the debate or to the aforementioned “Blasphemy Challenge” webpage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I did not watch it, I find it strange that you would not use your real name if you were debating an issue you believed in. If you're on public TV people would know your real name if they knew you. Just so odd. I guess it doesn't matter because God knows the number of hairs on their head and that they deny HIM. GAY

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! OK people, if this wont light you fire, then your wood's wet!!! If this doesn't create a huge sense of urgency to tell people about Jesus, then you need to do some soul searching. Jesus didn't ask us to tell other about Him, He commanded us to!!! Come on CrossPoint, lets get it going!!!

Anonymous said...

It's terrifyingly sad to me that so many people have fallen victim to these "Rational Responders." I have sent an e-mail to Mr. "Sapient" and posed this one thought: If I'm right and Jesus Christ is the only Truth and you are wrong yet I have still lived a morally upright life, what do I have to lose? If I'm right, I spend Eternity in heaven with my Creator. If you're right, I've stilled lived a good life and have nothing to be ashamed of. It's just a thought. I probably should have mentioned that if I was right and they are wrong then they would spend Eternity in Hell but I felt since they both were "Christians" at one time, then they should understand that.

Anonymous said...

Vaughn, I agree, and I am convinced we should speak of Christ in every forum God offers us. You keep spreading the gospel. I will continue spreading the gospel. Others will continue and perhaps someday every believer will spread the word.

Jen C, Psalm 52:1 says, "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God." Brian and Kelly, according to God's word, are fools. We should pray for their salvation.