Saturday, January 13, 2007

Fuel for your Body…& Soul

Wow, what a difference a week makes!

Last week I attempted to run 16 miles. And, as I described to you last Friday, January 5, I ran out of gas.
Today, I ran 18 miles without once running low on fuel. What was the difference? The difference was fueling my body for the run.

Last week I did not prepare sufficiently for my run. I ate a salad the night before and a biscuit the morning of the run, and I did not consume any gels or snacks along the way (other than a candy bar I purchased during the run that did more harm than good).

This week I loaded up on the carbohydrates. I ate spaghetti and a baked potato last night. This morning I started my day with a good serving of oatmeal. Additionally, I carried three packs of GU (an energizing gel loaded with potassium, protein and carbohydrates) with me. I re-fueled my body once every four miles with the GU. I also staged a Gatorade break at the half way point. The result: 18 miles in 2:57:13. That is a little over a 9:50 per mile pace. That may not sound like a fast pace for you, but for me it is the best pace I have ever kept for more than 10 miles. Additionally, it is 10 seconds per mile faster than my goal time today.

Just to illustrate how good of a run it was, I ran 18 miles instead of the planned 17. My goal was to run 17 miles. I ran an 8.5 mile loop through Homewood. Toward the end of the run I felt apprehensive about the mileage because my total time was much better than I estimated. Thus, I added some additional distance, thinking I needed the extra distance to cover 17 miles. And now for the good news; I measured my run and discovered I actually ran 18 miles and not the required 17.

Once again, I must make the same connection as I did last week. In the same way we need fuel for our bodies we also need fuel for our souls. Fuel for our bodies includes food. Fuel for our souls includes worship.

How many of you actually prepare for worship? How many of you load up before you come to CrossPoint?One week ago I did not prepare for my run, and it showed. This week I prepared for my run, and I ran more than I planned and faster than I expected.

I have said this before, and I will certainly say it again. Your private worship with the Lord influences your public worship. Or, the more you worship the Lord individually, the better equipped you are to worship Him corporately.

Just like I do the night before a long run, I use my Saturday evening to prepare for my worship on Sunday. My Saturday night “preparing for worship” routine typically includes a quiet, relaxing evening at home. I end the day by retiring to bed at a reasonable hour so I get plenty of rest. Then, I wake up very early to review my message and to prepare my heart. I spend a considerable amount of time in prayer and Bible study, followed by reading and re-reading my manuscript. I try to be thoroughly prepared for worship by the time I arrive on our campus. Then, when worship begins I am ready.

I am curious to know more about your Saturday night routine that prepares you for worship. Even more, I am interested in knowing what you do during the week that helps you worship each weekend.

No comments: