Thursday, December 14, 2006

They Get It!

My baby girl, Kelsey, is in the ninth grade this year. School for Kelsey is more of a social experiment than a learning exercise. I am not saying she is a bad student. Kelsey does well in school, and works hard for her good grades. What I am saying, however, is that school for Kelsey is a place to mix and mingle. She is my social child. Kelsey loves people. (I wonder who she gets that trait from.)

The other night during supper Kelsey related a story from school that motivated me mightily. She said her English teacher wrote three words on the chalkboard—omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. Then the teacher asked if anyone knew what those words meant.
Kelsey confided that she knew their meaning, but was embarrassed to raise her hand. The teacher paused, and then asked again if anyone could provide a definition. Kelsey finally raised her hand after no one else responded and said, “Those are three words used to describe God, meaning He is everywhere, He can do anything and He knows everything.”

I am positive our neighbors thought we were cheering for a football game when her mother, brother and I erupted with applause and cheers. Taylor gave Kelsey a big “high five”. I responded with “You go girl!” Her mother called her our “trophy child!”

Wow, my baby girl gets it! She does more than experience God in worship; she actually knows who He is.

Many other CrossPoint students get it as well.

For example, the other night I was leaving a high school basketball game when one of our students informed me that he had not sworn all week. He said, “I either say ‘yes’ or ‘no’. I have not said, ‘I swear’ all week.” I hugged his neck and then gently informed him I would continue praying for him, especially since it was only Monday.

One more example of our kids getting it, and I am done.

I spoke with another CrossPoint student this week. He wanted me to know why I had not seen him recently in worship on Sunday mornings. He said, “My dad has moved to the other side of town. And I feel like I need to go worship with him until he finds a church he likes. I still come here every Wednesday night. As soon as he finds a church home, I will be back at CrossPoint on Sunday mornings. I feel like if I go with him each Sunday I can help him get involved somewhere soon.”

CrossPoint’s student ministry and her parents must be doing something right. We’ve got too many kids who get it. They have learned who God is and what He expects from them.

Do you get it?

No comments: