Thursday, December 07, 2006

For God’s Glory and Our Good

Today is a strange anniversary for my family, particularly for my mother. It was one year ago today my mother’s house caught on fire.


I will not go into all the details of that particular day one year later. However, I do think it is important to remember a moment from that experience that stands above all the others.

About an hour or so after the fire had been extinguished, all of mom’s kids and grandkids gathered around her in the driveway like a bunch of baby chicks around the mother hen. Standing in and around us also included some thoughtful neighbors, firemen and dear friends from CrossPoint.

I recall wondering what to say. Being the preacher in the family I thought it was my duty to speak. Before I could think of what to utter my mother spoke up.

She said, “Ryan has been teaching us at church that everything happens for two reasons. First, kids, everything happens for God’s glory.” Then she pauses, as if to keep her composure. “Second…” she says, with another pause.

I could sense she was searching for the right words. Then, she looked at me and asked, “Ryan, what is the second reason for everything that happens to us?”

With tears streaming down my face, I replied, “Mom, everything that happens to those who love God happens for God’s glory and for our good.”

“That’s right kids. Everything that happens to us happens for God’s glory and for our good.”

That day will always stick out in my mind as one of great loss, but it will also serve as a day of great faith. That day I could see how God was using the house fire for His glory. So many people could see and hear of my mother’s great faith. One year later, God is still getting the glory and we can now see how the fire worked for my mother’s good. She is living in a brand new house, with everything she needs for her comfort and security.

Although it costs my mother a lot of keepsakes, she knows personally the purpose for every occurrence in life—whether good or bad. She knows firsthand all things happen for God’s glory and her good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we could get our arms around your mom's statement... "Everything that happens to us is for our God and God's glory" is tremendous! This should encourage you that people do listen to what you say and take it to heart! Keep preaching and teaching truth... it is taking root!