Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The New Kid on the Block & His Team!

I want to commend Jason Motte for pulling together an amazing Fall Festival last weekend. With only two months notice, Jason exceeded every expectation. We are still trying to estimate the number of people who showed up for an evening of fun. Whether we crossed the 3,000 mark is still to be determined. What we do know, however, is that the night was a huge accomplishment thanks to Jason’s leadership.

I am impressed with Jason’s ability to organize and delegate. His reputation for leadership precedes him. That is what attracted the Personnel Team to Jason. Now that we have seen him work on the frontlines with a cross-section of CrossPointers, we affirm that assessment.

Jason has a heart for ministry, and it shows. He also has the unique ability to remain calm and steady in the midst of multiple decisions and limits. Throughout the evening he kept a smile on his face, and provided a careful answer to every inquiry. That shows us just how strong of a leader is Jason.

It would be foolish for me to commend Jason, without also commending his team of servant leaders. Although the final number of people present is still not in, we do know that more than 300 CrossPointers served the community that evening. I commend you for your effort as well.

You arrived early and stayed late. You parked cars and greeted people. You hosted games and provided refreshments. You shared Christ and administered His love. You worked overtime to make everyone feel welcomed. You were a great witness for Jesus Christ and for one of his outposts of ministry, CrossPoint.

Jason and his team’s efforts were not without result. Today, at lunch, someone asked if we (staff) were from CrossPoint. I think it was our name tags that gave us away. When we responded positively, the questioner said she heard about the success of our Fall Festival. Others have called or emailed to thank us for our effort.

Let me relate two other stories from the night and I am done.

Late in the evening on Sunday, it appeared that we would have more than enough candy left over from the festival. While trying to decide what to do with all those sweets, we met a family from St. Luke’s Missionary Baptist Church in Graysville. They told us how they were trying to host a festival for tonight, but were afraid they would not have enough candy. Imagine their surprise when we showed them our stash of leftover candy. Early Monday morning, a member and his wife showed up at CrossPoint to load their van with candy. It was pleasurable sharing the candy with this most deserving church. They both hugged me and thanked us profusely for our generosity.

Now isn’t that just like God to add to our candy – like the fishes and the loaves – so that we could provide for TWO fall festivals.

Finally, Monday morning I was greeted with true acts of servant leadership. As I drove up the front driveway of the campus I observed Tom Brown picking up trash. I witnessed Tom doing the same thing the night before, and here he was back the next day doing the same thing. I waved at Tom and thanked him for helping Israel Harris and Ricky Owen.

Then, as I entered the building a retired couple greeted me at the front door. I recognized their faces, but could not remember their names. We commented about the events from the night before, and then they went their way as went mine.

A few minutes later I recalled their names as I looked out the window in amazement, watching them assist Tom, Israel and Ricky in the cleanup effort. The couple is Jim and Barbara Rogers, and what makes their effort so special is that are not yet CrossPointers. You read the previous line correctly—they are not yet members of CrossPoint. Two of the people who cleaned our campus the morning following the festival were guests, not members!

Now that is remarkable, isn’t it? I learned later in the day they are registered for this Sunday’s D101 membership class.

Wow, don’t you love it? Here is a family that has already figured out the CrossPoint spirit—INAM, It’s Not About Me! And the great thing about their act of service is that they have not yet heard us preach the INAM message. They will next Sunday! And when they do hear the It’s Not About Me message, I plan to use them as an example for the remainder of the class.

Once again, Sunday night was over the top. I commend the new kid on the block and his team of volunteers. I also commend Tom Brown, Jim and Barbara Rogers, Israel Harris and Ricky Owen. Additionally, I commend you. I commend everyone. Well done, CrossPoint, well done!

No comments: