Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Monday Morning Quarterbacking!

Sunday was a very long day for me. As a result I woke up a bit irritable on Monday morning, and that irritability gave way to questioning the effectiveness of Sunday’s message. I tend to do a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking on the previous Sunday’s message. There was a time this morning I felt like my message was preached to the wrong crowd. Don’t get me wrong. I love preaching for you every weekend. I just felt like my message of salvation was better suited for non-churched crowd rather than for regular Sunday morning people. In short, I felt like I was preaching to the choir.
My Monday morning blues continued until I read this little ditty on the web. No wonder the Episcopal Church is in major decline.

(AP) -- The woman who'll be installed this weekend as the first female presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church doesn't consider Jesus Christ the only way to God.

In an Associated Press interview, Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori (SHOHR'-ee) said, "If we insist that we know the one way to God, we've put God in a very small box."

The Bible declares that "in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form."

But Jefferts-Schori says she doesn't believe that "one person can have the fullness of truth in him or herself." Instead, she says, "Truth is, like God, more than any one person can encompass."

Eight Episcopal dioceses have asked Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, who heads the world Anglican Communion, to put them under a leader other than Bishop Jefferts-Schori.

WOW! After reading that, I am so thankful I preached a purely Jesus-only message. Indeed, salvation is found in no one else, for there is no under name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved (see Acts 4:12). Perhaps someone might want to suggest for Bishop Jefferts-Schori to return to seminary. This time, however, I would recommend she attend a seminary that uses the Word of God as its foundation for training.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful service. I prayed all week that you would decide to do it.