Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Parenting Isn’t For Cowards!

I was in a melancholy mood last night. My son, Taylor, and I attended War Eagle Day yesterday at Auburn University. This was his second of three college campus visits he desires to make this fall. His first visit was to Samford University. His third visit will include UAB.

I was melancholy because I cannot believe my oldest child is leaving for college in less than a year. Yesterday morning during the orientation the leader mentioned how some of the parents in the room may be emotional because they are sending their first child off to college. He was speaking directly to me. Soon after he made that comment I noticed a mother seated next to me pat her son on his lead and start to weep. I could relate; my heart was filled with waves of emotions as well.
This is a MAJOR transition for Vonda and me. We were prepared for just about every stage of parenting other than this stage. It is one thing to take your child to kindergarten. It is quite another thing to take them to college.
As for Taylor, he was in his element. He was quiet, yet excited. I think he was particularly impressed with the number of beautiful females planning to matriculate at Auburn. Don’t tell his mother, but I was more than impressed. I was concerned also. Some of those young ladies needed more clothes on than what they were wearing (or not wearing!).
While driving home last evening I was remind of a title from a James Dobson book: Parenting Isn’t for Cowards! I agree with Dr. Dobson. His title rang true in my heart today. Parenting is not easy—today or any day. It is a tough assignment being a parent, especially when that assignment includes letting one of the chicks leap out of your nest in order to spread their wings.

For parents of pre-school aged children, I promise to pray for you. I promise to pray for parents of elementary, middle school and high school-aged kids also. Your day is coming, just like my day has arrived. And when that day comes, don’t be surprised if you weep a tear or two. Dobson was right, parenting isn’t for cowards!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the parent of a high school senior this year, I too have had waves of emotion. It has made me so much more aware of time, and just how fast it goes by. I drop my 8th grader off at school every morning and just recently have shed many tears as I drive to work thinking this is my last year to ever have a middle school child. I guess the thought of knowing that it seems like yesterday my daughter was in her last year at the middle school and now she is graduating! I don't know if I'm ready for this, but with Gods help I will get through it! I agree, parenting isn't for cowards!!

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
You know Auburn produces the cream of the crop! I spent many an evening in awe of that orange and blue sunset that God created (it truly is amazing on the plains!). I can remember the day my parents dropped me off at Auburn and I'm pretty sure if there were tears, they were for joy! I distinctly remember hearing the tires squeal as they headed back home- HA!
Mandi

Anonymous said...

A parent's responsibility is not to teach their chilren to be independent, but to shift their child's dependency from themselves to God.

Duke...