Saturday, September 02, 2006

Getting in Shape

Today was a good day of exercise. I finally pushed through another level of training in order to compete in CrossPoint’s 5th Annual 5K on October 28. The last time I reached a specific milestone was nearly three weeks ago. So, I knew I was due to improve sometime soon. Thus, today’s milestone did not surprise me.

It did surprise me, however, in that I was not very enthusiastic about running this morning. After taking a much needed day of rest on Thursday, I almost indulged in another day off today. I am glad I did not. Three minutes into my first mile I could tell today’s run was going to be special.

I am hearing some great reports from many of you regarding your running and walking progress. Keep working toward your goal. We are eight weeks away from the race. Remember, some days will be better than others. Keep training. Don’t give up. You will be proud you kept training on race day.

Speaking of training did any of you read Cathleen Falsani’s web article, “Weighty matter: is religion making us fat?” If you have not read it, I suggest you do so immediately.

I was intrigued by Falsani’s report, and there are two or three sections that are worth repeat.
First, is a quote from Ken Ferraro:

"America is becoming known as a nation of gluttony and obesity, and churches are a feeding ground for this problem," says Ken Ferraro, a Purdue sociology professor who studied more than 2,500 adults over a span of eight years looking at the correlation between their religious behavior and their body mass index. "If religious leaders and organizations neglect this issue, they will contribute to an epidemic that will cost the health-care system millions of dollars and reduce the quality of life for many parishioners," he says.


The second section is an apt assessment from Falsani:

Ferraro's most recent study, published in the June issue of the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, is a follow-up to a study he published in 1998, where he found there were more obese people in states with larger populations of folks claiming a religious affiliation than elsewhere -- particularly in states with the most Baptists.
So it's not surprising that Ferraro's latest study found that about 27 percent of Baptists, including Southern Baptists, North American Baptists, and Fundamentalist Baptist, were obese.
Surely there are several contributing factors to such a phenomenon, but when Ferraro accounted for geography (southern cooking is generally more high-caloric), race and even whether overweight folks were attracted to churches for moral support, the statistics still seem to indicate that some churches dispense love handles as well as the love of the Lord.

Third is Falsani’s conclusion that I agree with most heartily,

Perhaps, as Ferraro suggests, more churches might want to consider turning the fellowship hall into a gym, putting down the Krispy Kremes, and gathering instead around a plate of crudite before taking a brisk walk with the pastor after church.

Because, ya know, blessed are the weight watchers.

Let there be no mistake: CrossPointers love to eat. We also love to worship, fellowship, minister, evangelize and disciple. Let it also be said we love to exercise.

I am reminded our CrossPoint’s seven Core Values. The second core value reads as follows:

We value the pursuit of HEALTH.

Did you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

I Corinthians 6:19-20

After reading Falsani’s article I was pleased to think that CrossPoint is doing more to contribute to the health and well-being of its community than by just offering someone a casserole.

My charge to you today is keeping training!

No comments: