Friday, September 29, 2006

Enjoying the Results of Running

For those of you who do not know, five years ago I started a crusade to get back into shape. My sole purpose in running was to ward off a heart attack and/or an early death. A secondary reason was to loose weight. As a result I started jogging about four or five days a week.

One morning, after a quick jog, a neighbor asked me, “Ryan, what are you running for?” Thinking his emphasis was on the “YOU” in that question, I quickly retorted, “To get in shape.” Again he asked the same question, only this time he said more emphatically, “No, I asked what are you running FOR? You don’t just run to get in shape. You must run FOR something.”

My neighbor was correct. You don’t just run, to run. You must run for something. As Paul said, “Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize” (1 Corinthians 9:26-27).
With that simple question from my neighbor I was soon training to compete in my initial 5K run. I had never run more than a mile without stopping. So to run 3.1 miles would be a major victory for me. My inaugural 5K was Birmingham’s Kudzu 5K Run. After competing in it, I focused my vision on the Maple Leaf 5K in Trussville. It was not long after that I began dreaming of competing in a marathon. My goal was to run 26.3 miles (all in one day, at one time, in one run) before I turned 40.

For the next three years I was consumed with running. My first marathon was Huntsville’s Rocket City Marathon, which I ran three months before I turned 40. A year later I ran in the Chicago Marathon, and the following year I competed in the New York City Marathon.

Training for the New York City Marathon I injured my left knee. After a year of rehabilitation, my doctor suggested surgery. For nearly three years I have waged the battle to get my knee back into shape, only to be disappointed about three or four weeks into each renewal to run again. Thankfully, since about mid-June of this year I have slowly rebuilt my stamina in the knee. And, if the Lord is willing, I will be running in the Maple Leaf 5K in four weeks, followed by CrossPoint’s 5K the very next weekend.

I know I do not look like a runner, but running is a passion of mine. While running the other morning I started thinking of reasons why I like to run:

1. I like the RESULT of running. Running improves my health. It helps me think more clearly. I sleep better when I run. And, I feel better about my physical health and well being.
2. I like to SWEAT. When I sweat I forget, and it is always good to have something to help you forget your most pressing issues.
3. I like to pursue GOALS. I have always been a goal oriented person. I like setting certain mileage or time goals in my training log each week, and meeting or exceeding those goals. Periodically, I do not reach my objective, and all that does is motivate me to press on.
4. I like ROUTINE. Even though I consider myself a creative and spontaneous person, I like the habit of certain routines in my day. Routine keeps me on target with the objectives God wants me to fulfill.
5. I like the DISCIPLINE of running. By beginning five out of seven days of each week with an early morning run, I am a more disciplined person during the remainder of the day.

I may never win a race. I may never qualify for the Boston Marathon (I think the qualifying time now is 3:20, which is too fast for me). However, the reason I run is not to compete against others as much as it is to compete against myself and the battle time is waging on my body.

I would be curious to hear your stories as to how and why you exercise. I am particularly interested in your training stories as we count down the weeks to the Fifth Annual CrossPoint 5K.

No comments: