Tuesday, September 12, 2006

9/11: Are You Ready?

Wow, What a Sunday!
Just when you think it cannot get any better than what it already is at CrossPoint, God stirs us and does something new. Wow, worship last weekend was incredible.

I commend Bryan Haskins, the choir, praise band and media team for making the day so worshipful. The choir singing its first Sunday with Bryan was a fitting end to our series on worship.

Bryan’s impact on CrossPoint is already widespread. I am thankful for his sensitivity and flexibility. You may not see it like I do, but Bryan truly follows the Spirit’s leading, and that understanding is making a major impact in our worship. His understanding is also influencing my preaching.

I hope you know more about worship today than you did six weeks ago. Remember, “worship is the believer’s adoring response of all that he is—mind, emotions, will and body – to all that God is and says and does” (Warren Wiersbe).

5K Training
Where are you on your 5K training? I hear some of you have made so much progress that you have abandoned the walk/run plan we gave you a few weeks ago and are now running a full 5K each day. That is great!

I know my training schedule has intensified dramatically in the last three weeks. Beginning each day with a regimented exercise routine in addition to time alone worshipping the Lord is a great recipe for a meaningful day. I challenge you to begin your day with exercise and time alone with the Lord. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

911—Are You Ready?
Do you remember where you were five years ago today?

I remember well where I was and what I was doing. I was leading a summer revival at Providence Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I had just returned from my morning run when Vonda called. She asked me if I was watching the news. Within a few seconds of turning on the television, I witnessed the second plane crashing into the other World Trade Center tower.

Vonda and I remained on the phone with one another for at least an hour. Like you, we watched the horrific events unfold, wondering what was going on.

I remember Vonda asking me if this was the end of time and if I should return home. My response was abrupt. I said, “If it is the end of time me driving home will not really matter. I will just see you in heaven.”

You do know that the return of Christ will be a dramatic and unexpected event, don’t you? Jesus said of His return,

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."
Matthew 24:42-44


If the memorial events of today remind me of anything, they remind me to be ready for Christ’s return. Are you ready?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Worship Sunday was incredible! Those of us in the choir experienced it 3 fold. I heard so many positive comments and saw a lot of interaction. I even saw some people staying for multiple services to hear the choir sing again! (sorry Ryan, nothing personal I'm sure...hehe) I am most thankful for Ryan's leadership and God's inspiration with the "I Praise" series. I really enjoyed the series, and am hopeful we will all take to heart what it truly means to worship.

I can't wait to see where God leads the music program under Bryan's leadership. So if you'd like come and make a joyful noise, please join us for rehearsal every Wednesday at 7:30pm. I think we'll be starting the Christmas music soon, so now would be a good time to join up.

Matt